1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Picking/Narrowing Down a Campsite

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by campforums, Jul 7, 2015.

1. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

When you are planning an outing, what things do you look for in a potential camp ground to help narrow down the choices? For me, some things I look for are park services, proximity to a body of water, the weather and how long it would take to get there.

2. L_B

L_B Explorer

Definitely the weather and distance. It also has to have a lake, river, etc. close by our campsite. I also look for something that is a bit secluded so.we have our privacy. I don't like to have too many people too close by. We like to try different place. We have rarely been to the same campground twice.

actadh likes this.
  3. campforums

Ya, that is an important one too that I forgot. Especially during peak season at some of the more popular venues, it can be downright crowded!

4. L_B

L_B Explorer

Yes some of the places get really overcrowded during the peak season. When it's like that we just try to.make the best of the situation. It's always nice to meet some fellow campers.

campforums likes this.
  5. campforums

That's why there is something for everyone. The more sociable campers among us might like a more crowded atmosphere :)

6. m.abbass

m.abbass Novice Camper

flat green ground and not muddy

campforums likes this.
  7. actadh

actadh Pathfinder

We are rarely at the campsite during the day, so campground amenities are fairly unimportant. DH has limited mobility, so we go exploring in the truck during the day.

We look for historical sites - we really need a bumper sticker that says "Warning..stops at all roadside markers."

We like to do self guided vehicle tours. There is a great Civil War trail in West Virginia that starts right outside our house.

There are Underground Railroad sites all along the Ohio River and Lake Erie.

We will be doing the Coal Mining trail in WV this fall as we leaf peep.

This spring we did the covered bridge tour in Ashtabula County in Ohio.

We plan on exploring the National Road.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
    m.abbass likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted