1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Portable camp table

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by killeroy154, Jan 5, 2017.

1. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

View attachment 2295 I wanted to share this with you all. A couple of weeks ago I went looking for portable tables. I felt they were very expensive and not what I was looking for. I had an aluminum stove stand that I bought at an antique store, so I started thinking of how to make my own table. I had a couple of old boards that came out of a closet 89ac2a8bb36cdc63a978d1a94388f7bf.jpg I planed then down to 3/8 thick, and cut them to 2 inches wide and 27 long. ef5944d8c168ec9733384f55e3afe024.jpg Cut 2 stringers to lay them on then polyurethaned them and stapled strapping to the under side to keep them together. 7ba8c4eefda10b2560ffabbc4baf3d4b.jpg It is 20x27 inches on top, about 6 pounds and 6 inches diameter when rolled up. 165d7adbe7197a89d4e22a3fb2deb634.jpg So one thing leads to another. I needed a bag to put it in. I had some canvas I purchased last summer for another project, so I went to work. d4ae5b2b968987db7041bc3af123e17f.jpg e5081adff820a42ae2a183bf62550dff.jpg end result turned out pretty good 5e586b86be321a2ac0251d00a927bcb0.jpg 4f3c11891742ae74b1c6143ba31f3e45.jpg Me happy

2. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Oops I think my attachment got detached 93d0ae4783526584a89ee1f227b40978.jpg

Bibsoutdoors likes this.
  3. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...so apropos @killeroy154. I've been thinking of replacing my camp base table - doesn't serve me well. And then...your article appears and I thought to myself, "Get on with it!"

A few years back I made my own take down picnic table to fit the kitchen shelter perfectly. It's about time to make a utility table too. :playful:

4. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

There are 2 types of camping for me. First is the camping in the wild where we have air guns. The second type is camping in a campsite where there are facilities. It was a long time since I have last experienced the first type. But we go to a campsite every year. In fact, we were there 2 weeks ago although we did not stay overnight because it was too cold.

When camping with the family, we usually bring along folding chairs and table. This set is important since it adds convenience to our camping trip. The folding table is good for preparing the food.

5. Northern Dancer

...okay, okay no laughing. This is my rendition of a portable kitchen table top for my kitchen tent.

The wood $30.00
    Hardware $4.00
    Polyurethane $ 12.00
    Recycle bins $9.00
    Wash bin with lid $5.00
    About $60.00 not including labour and tax :)

6. Northern Dancer

...so this is what it looks like ------------------------ >

table_3.jpg

table_4.jpg

table.jpg

Not as snazzy as killeroy154 productions but it will do just fine. It comes apart and folds down. And yes it is marked with one of my totem signatures. It takes a regular stove and can easily manage the weight of my stove/oven. The sink is placed at the back of the table to permit a working space in the front. The waste bin is made from a commercial salad dressing container. There are small rails around the back and sides to prevent things from falling off the table and there are hooks at either end to hang utensils on. The recycle bins are for whatever but usually pots and pans and kitchen items. This counter top table is designed for base camp usage.

* All food items including camp garbage is disposed of after each meal and the table and food area is washed down with water and pine sol

:bear: Baden Bear here, "Does that wolf stay asleep for the whole winter. He sort of looks thin."

killeroy154 likes this.
  7. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I like the dishpan cut out. About like a real kitchen sink with counter top. What about mounting a burner in the table top? I know maybe make a bracket with burner attached and set it in the sink cut out when you need to cook? Hmm you's got me a thinking

8. Northern Dancer

--------------------------- > :)
    Thanks - there is a hole at the back centre for a steel rod that holds a lantern or two. I could cut out a place for a stove - but I have three different stoves and decided to just set them on the top.

9. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

These are fantastic car camping ideas! Now where do I find legs to build the table on?? That will be my biggest challenge. But I love what I'm seeing, nice work!

Bibsoutdoors

10. Northern Dancer

...it's all fun stuff and easy to do. Killeroy154 is really the expert. I use wood legs and they as well as everything else can be found at any large lumber supply store. Rona, Home Depot, Lowe's any of those will have more than you need. I use a lesser grade of wood though examine it carefully to get the best of the cheap. :) I saw a can of Helmsman clear urethane in Killeroy's photo; I use the same product because it is one of the top lines. It make my cheap look really good.

I've made other items for my base camp because I'm out for a long period of time and like a tad of comfort when I get back from a canoe trip. This year I have a chest of drawers, a night table, a coat rack and a footlocker. REMEMBER...if you make it you have to cart it so you need a vehicle that can take the load.

killeroy154 and Bibsoutdoors like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted