1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Potato Chip Soup

Discussion in 'Food' started by Northern Dancer, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

1 can Cream of Potato Soup [more if a larger group]
    1 can 2% milk or go all the way and add 10%
    Heat accordingly
    Serve in bowl and put one hand full of rippled potato chips
    on top.

It's as simple as that but real good. :)

ND

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Don't the potato chips get soggy?

3. Northern Dancer

Using the ripple type potato chip prevents this. I will have a similar recipe for cream of chicken soup posted soon. ND

4. campforums

Clever... By the way, I was wondering what you do with your food when you are taking such long camping trips like the last one you said you went on

5. Northern Dancer

I/we always establish a base camp. From there I/we go out for three or four nights at a time. The longest trip that I have taken was for 12 days. That was a bit tricky and required sound planning and acceptance by the group [four of us at the time] as to what we were taking. We did better than we first thought we might - being with the same guys night and day for 12 days can be a test of endurance. We got along great and it was one of the best trips ever.

When we are in base camp there is a Foodland Grocery about an hour and a bit away - so we keep ourselves well stocked. There is a great variety of food stuffs on the market that don't require refrigeration. As my mentor use to say, "It's all in the planning dude!" That's why the soup recipes and such are simple - they are intended for canoe tripping. The milk we use is actually the small containers of soya drink. I don't like the taste but it is drowned in the other ingredients.

ND

6. campforums

This is what I was getting at ;) I have found that finding healthy and tasty food that doesn't require refrigeration is a bit more difficult. When you are just going away for a weekend or so, you can pretty much pack whatever you want as long as you make sure to pack your cooler with ice you can even get some fresh meat in there.

7. Northern Dancer

Sometimes I tour our local Zehrs for an hour or so looking for products that I can use for tripping etc. I check out the grocery stores first as the camp supply people charge you an arm and a leg for products that are a lot cheaper at the store; such as packaged cereals etc. On one occasion a manager approached me and asked what I was doing. I carefully explained what I was up to only to learn that he was a camper too. He made some product suggestions that where on the shelves that he uses.

I don't use a cooler much any more unless I have access to dry ice. ND

8. campforums

I hadn't heard of that chain of grocery stores until just now but it is good to hear that the staff their are so helpful and willing to recommend their own personal favorites. I agree with you on the cost though--and the also tend to be fresher in my experience because groceries stores sell a lot more volume meaning that they restock a lot more often.

How long can you keep things with dry ice? I would still think that the hard part would be keeping it insulated regardless of whether it was dry ice or just ice.

9. Northern Dancer

Zehrs is the biggest food chain in South Western Ontario.

First, you have to get the dry ice from a licensed person - we have a machinist who can supply us with the same. As you might expect it is more expensive than plain ice.

This is how we work it for trips seven days or more. We take two coolers, one that has the dry ice that has all our frozen foods in; meats, ice cream etc. We place cardboard in it as an extra insulator to reduce melting. The second cooler has a bit of ice and has things that we want to stay cool; cheese, butter, some produce etc. Cooler one is never opened until we want meat. When we do that we open only once, in the morning, and transfer the frozen meat to cooler two that keeps our produce cool. The item is unfrozen by supper.

When the dry ice dries - there is no wetness or water on the bottom of the cooler at the end of the trip.

There are specialty coolers you can purchase today, like Yeti and Cabela's Alaskan. Really expensive. They guarantee a longer ice life. We are talking $250.00 to $800.00 range; not a product that I'm prepared to spend that much money on.

The rule for keeping the cooler cold is you open rarely, use extra insulation, pack so you don't have to search through everything to get to what you want.

We only do this when there are two or three canoes. It can be a bit heavy and you need the cargo space to carry it.

ND

10. campforums

How long does this stuff last you when you keep it sealed? 2 1/2 days maybe? That would be my guess :D

My cooler has a sort of nozzle at the bottom which makes the wetness easy to drain, but I guess the only thing is that everything you put in there must be sealed or else it will get soggy.

Me neither! Though one must wonder what you get for that much extra cash

11. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

The soup sounds good but can I use any brand of potato chips? Could I swap out the 2% milk for some sort of chicken broth? I like putting crackers like Clubhouse crackers in my soup.

12. Northern Dancer

You can do anything you want to. :) The milk just makes it more creamy. Sometimes I just use plain water because that is all I have. I also use the dry packaged soups - especially when we are tripping [canoeing] in the interior. The thing about camping is you can come up with all kinds of concoctions that somehow taste great in the outdoors. Experiment :vomit: and have fun.

13. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

LOL I just noticed the vomiting emoticon after the word experiment. I was just curious about the milk part. So if I can use anything then that is not a bad idea.

14. BMWPOWER

BMWPOWER Moderator Staff Member

So now its Campbell and Zehrs, I see whats going on here.

15. Northern Dancer

Just my effort in trying to be amusing! Sure you can use anything - keeping in mind not all concoctions are palatable.

16. Northern Dancer

I never thought of having a sponsor before - now you tell me.:(

17. campforums

@Northern Dancer,

Have you ever tried adding chips to your sandwiches? It adds a nice crunch if you do not have any pickles

18. BMWPOWER

BMWPOWER Moderator Staff Member

ohh yea, Its actually in our culture to do that, but only regular chips. It tastes sooo good.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  19. Northern Dancer

No I haven't tried that - but you know I will. :happy:

20. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

I have done that too and it does add a nice crunch to the chips. I also like to add fries in the sandwich its really good. Its an amazing delicacy to add in new things to the plate.

Draft saved Draft deleted