1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Preventing fires

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by Jessi, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Jessi

Jessi Novice Camper

download.jpeg

;)

So how do YOU prevent forest fires?

After all, if you have a fire going in the woods, even if you think you put it out, it can lead to trouble. Do you have a ritual you follow to make sure it doesn't spread?

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Its important that you make a a proper fire pit, a lot of people neglect this because it isn't quite as obvious as some of the other things such as pouring water or sand on it when you're done. Take a look at the thread I made on fires for some more info on building a good fire pit,

http://campingbabble.com/threads/tips-for-starting-a-camp-fire.108/

3. Karto

Karto Newbie

I don't even know how people manage to get a fire spread. It seems so impossible to me that I'd have to try to make it happen.

It's all common sense. The stuff is automatic.

4. TABL

TABL Explorer

I usually leave it to my husband! He's the fire guy.

5. Peaceweapon

Peaceweapon Newbie

We dig a hole to start the fire in and line it with stones. When we want to put it out we cover it with the dirt from the hole we dug and pour on some water to make the dirt damp. This works well for us and there isn't usually any smoke while we put it out either.

6. Mr. Blue

Mr. Blue Newbie

We're very careful about how we make our fire. I also make sure it's not too large and that it has a barrier around it. Me being the freak I am about starting a wildfire take all necessary precautions. I instruct my family or anyone never to put water on a fire, but instead put mud on it. After I establish my camp site and area I make sure that I always have a decent amount of dirt to pile down on the fire. Whether I bring it with me or collect some in the wild it is a great way to put out a fire. If you don't need it and are leaving the site just dump it an area instead of lugging it back. It might seem a bit troublesome, but it will work if there is a fire. It actually happened to us once and it did the job. The fire was small, but it served a lesson.

7. Jessi

Jessi Novice Camper

Maybe so, but that could be because you were taught at some point and it's just second nature to you. Some people don't realize that even a single spark can start a fire and if they leave a stamped out fire still smoldering, it wouldn't be too hard for a fallen stem or branch to catch fire after they leave.

8. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

When I build a camp fire I first dig a pit for it. I also clear a large area to make sure there isn't any pine needles around (just dirt). I then line stones/rocks around the pit. I also will place a small metal screen on it to make sure nothing pops out the fire. When I am done I pour water on it and bury the hole up.

9. Libragirl67

Libragirl67 Newbie

We make sure it is in a clear area . To me that is the key to containing the fire. We usually make a circle of dirt all around the pit area. And ofcoarse you have to have the rocks or some kind of buffer to keep the actual fire in line. We never leave the fire unattended. And we never let the fire get to high. When we are done we make sure the fire is completely soaked down. We grab buckets of lake water and swish it around the logs to get them wet. Then we poke at the fire to make sure their are no burning ember still in there.

10. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Usually, I make a pit in the ground and surround it with rocks. I make sure the area around the fire pit is cleared of any materials that could catch on fire. I keep my fire low and don't create a bonfire which with a bit of wind could turn into a wildfire. I use a heavy-duty cooking screen that stays in place for placing pots or my tiny tea kettle on it, which also controls sparks from flying.

When leaving I let the fire burn down and put dirt on top first and then water the area down really well, making sure the fire is completely out. I think the biggest mistakes some folks make is making the fire bigger than needed and not paying attention to weather conditions like windy days, and leaving dried materials to close to the fire, and lastly not making sure the fire and hot coals are completely put out.

Many times I have been at campgrounds where campers have a huge fire going in the metal enclosed pit and leave it unattended for long periods of time. These campsites are not located near a water source so putting out a escaped wildfire is not an easy task. Just follow Smoky The Bear, and leave the forest green instead of charcoal burnt black.

Draft saved Draft deleted