1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Property to Camp on

Discussion in 'United States' started by kevinkimers, Dec 4, 2014.

1. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Novice Camper

I live in Winnemucca Nevada and own 40 acres there. I am unable to live on my property at the moment so I thought, why no rent it out for campers. This is the thing, there is no power or water or septic there. Here is a picture so you know what it looks like.

Blue_Mountain_Ranch.JPG

This is only one side. The rest of the property is the same view. The nearest "town" is 16 miles away. There is a power plant in the distance that looks like a mini city at night and a couple of other places about 25 miles away that you can see at night but they are pretty far. As you can see, there is nothing but fresh air, mountains, and sage brush. LOL. You can find Elk and White Tail Deer out here also. Jack rabbit is plentiful. The property is surrounded by BLM land on two sides and the other properties are owned by investors who have no intention of ever even seeing their property. The only ways there is down miles of dirt roads and GPS coordinates. There is no one for miles around. This is a great place to just "get away". Problem is, I can't get there right now so I am thinking about renting it out to campers so that I can try to get the money to get what I need to move home.

Do you guys think I have a chance to rent out the place?

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I don't know - it looks pretty isolated. Then again you got involved and had a dream of some kind. If you did that there is a good possibility that others might see the same opportunities. It might take awhile and you are going to have to advertise in some manner or have an agent manage it for you.

You mentioned wild life - perhaps a hunter might pick up on it.

Is BLM land the same as our Crown Land? [Meaning public land.]

3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

It does look clean and fresh but I think campers might get bored because there isn't much there to see... Are you planning on moving there and building a home for yourself? What was the original purpose of the land when you got it, or have you always had it? Maybe if the investors around you had something in mind then you had the same idea ;)

4. Northern Dancer

...I think the greatest draw back is having no water. You can't do anything without a source of clean water.

5. kevinkimers

Yes, sorry, I keep forgetting that it is called different things in different countries. Here it is called the Bureau of Land Management, basically public land.

We are going to build a home on the land. Because of its isolation... we will have to live off the grid completely. Well water, septic system, solar and wind.... And because of how far we are out and the road being the way it is, we will be growing and raising most of our own food. Basically, we go to town only when it is necessary.

6. Northern Dancer

It's pioneering isn't it? Though romantic on the one hand, a lot of hard work on the other. BUT, people have done just that and have been happy with the life style. One makes a decision battling the human element or battling the natural element. It's true - I identify with the natural factor though there are times that I need to rely on others. Few, of course, but none-the-less I do have to rely on some.

Nevada. What would the winters be like?

We still have some pioneering opportunities in this country - the ol' 144 acres free land (with conditions of course).

7. campforums

Interesting, I agree with @Northern Dancer that that would be quite a step to make in your life and a big change for most people. Do you work on a farm now? How do you have any idea where to start on something like this? Because I know I wouldn't.

Oh yes, I don't think we'll ever run out of huge plots of land in the middle of nowhere to give away in this country haha.

8. kevinkimers

It got -17 F last winter and snowy.

No, but we were booth raised around farms and my mother kept a very very large garden. I'm excellent with animals and have dealt with cows and chickens before. We are both very prepared and looking forward to this.

9. campforums

I have to admit that I am a bit relieved to hear that :) When I read the first message I wasn't sure what your experience was and felt quite worried for your sake. Will the animals there support you fully? I guess there are markets around where you can sell your excess produce to? Anyways it sounds exciting, I hope you will keep us updated!

10. kevinkimers

Mostly, we can't live off chicken and beef alone. So we will get fish from the market (unless my boyfriend gets his way and creates a small fish farm here) either way, there will be some food items I will have to go buy. I am NOT giving up Ben & Jerry's. LMAO. There is a 3 or 4 booth farmers market here, but that is about it. Might sell there. We were just going to donate the excess to the local food bank or soup kitchen. I'll try to keep you up dated. Right now things are not looking so good for us financially so we are having a bit of a issue with getting it going. We hopefully will get things straightened out soon enough.

11. Northern Dancer

I applaud your pioneering spirit - good luck in every way.

12. kevinkimers

Personally I think we both fell off our rockers, LMAO, but I think it will do some good for us. After living in Los Angeles for several years... we need a very long camping trip.

13. Northern Dancer

It sure could be exciting in every way. And the thing is, you are not tied to any long term situation. People have returned to urban world only to leave it again in search of some new adventure. People have even written books and the like and have become famous and have even managed to make bucks.

14. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

One of the things that I have been reading about is raising catfish in an above-ground swimming pool. Basically, you have the fish in the pool, and then you drain part of the water out every few days, and you use that water for your garden.

This way, you get double use of the water, and have both fish and veggies to eat from one endeavor. It is similar to hydroponics; except with hydroponics, you actually grow the plants in sand or a similar meduim, and that filters the water so it can be recirculated back into the fish pond.
    Possibly, the hydroponics system would work better for you since you will be hauling water (at least for a while), and the hydroponics requires less fresh water.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5745708_raise-above-ground-swimming-pool.html

15. campforums

Cool thanks, I look forward to hearing your future updates. As a fellow big-city dweller I guess I can sort of relate to you living in Los Angeles and having that craving for the outdoors. Camping trips usually satisfy that craving for me but I can imagine that sometimes people need a BIG change! Good luck sorting out your financial issues, there is a big movement these days towards less industrialized food and more and more people seem to be going the organic route, hopefully that means you're in the right business.

Draft saved Draft deleted