1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Quick Camp Pizza...

Discussion in 'Food' started by Northern Dancer, Sep 12, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

This is a quick camp pizza... From preparation to tummy in about 20 minutes or less...

AT HOME - preheat oven to 230C [450F]...One or Two of these or facsimile 2942yja.jpg Smear mild [or choice of] salsa...sprinkle mixed cheese on top...place crusts on cookie sheet...lower oven temp to 220C [425F]....place in centre of oven...bake for 7 to 10 minutes...eat the same. :)

If a "meataterian" put on whatever excites the palate.

Note:
    The Camillo's brand is a $1.25 at the Dollar Tree. It is packaged in such a manner that you can take it along on a trip and use if for a variety of purposes. If you bring block cheese it will last a whole lot longer than any packaged or graded cheese. If you should get a bad spot on the hard cheese - just cut it out like you would an apple. If the packaged or graded cheese goes bad - it goes bad and I don't recommend that you use it.

AT CAMP - I have used tin foil and placed it on a grade just over hot coals. I have also used the ol' Dutch oven with a glass lid to look inside.

2zixb8w.jpg

campforums likes this.
  2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

That looks quite yummy, normally when I cook a pizza in my oven at home I let it sit directly on the rack so that the bottom gets extra crispy. Do you ever cook directly on something like this over a camp fire?

cooling-2Brack.jpg

3. Northern Dancer

Sure do. I like cooking over an open fire; a bit delicate and fiddly but when you become practised you can cook just about anything that you can do at home. Add the Dutch oven and you have it made.

4. campforums

Yeah, when cooking over an open flame I find that you have move whatever you are cooking around quite a bit in order to cook it evenly. I imagine that is especially true for pizza since even in my oven at home I sometimes get one side looking much darker than the other.

The best thing I have found is to let your fire turn into hot embers that way the heat distributes much more uniformly, or at least you can see which part of your fire has the most embers and maybe even push them around with a stick.

5. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

That just made me remember some good times at lunch in elementary school with Lunchables pizza. It was so fun to have you did not need to heat it since all that had to be done was that you put it together. This quick heating pizza can work for being out in the forest for a quick bite to eat to fill you up.

6. Northern Dancer

True - you can slap anything on and make it a meal. I like them better than bread because there are less likely to be crushed in a pack, last longer, and can hold a fair amount of meal because of the slight ridges. :)

7. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

In thinking of meat I guess you could make a quick sandwich with that same pizza lol. I am not much of a cook but I can make that pizza in the oven so it would not be problem. Though if you are cooking that pizza at camp just hope that the grill is clean and works.

8. Northern Dancer

I have never had a cooking tragedy and cleanliness is a primary safety rule. We can boast that we never had sickness on a trip but we have had some minor first aid issues. [We are trained in first aid.] Our food, though being simple, is prepared in a proper manner to avoid any issues.

True...in my earlier days of cooking food was frequently burnt and not terribly appetizing. Not so today I/we are good cooks. The last thing, other than equipment deficiencies, is to have lousy food.

9. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

Cleanliness is the best thing to practice while cooking in any environment. I know that you have to carefully handle food in a way where you would not contaminate the content. Its a serious case with salmonella poisoning so that much I know.

campforums likes this.
  10. Northern Dancer

You are right on. At one time I didn't pay much attention to those issues and more than often safety. Everyone knows that safety never takes a holiday.

11. campforums

By the way @Northern Dancer, I like the way you provided separate instructions for at home and at camp :thumbsup:

12. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

Yup I would always be sure that cooking has its ups and downs. However everyone is capable of learning how to cook you just have to put in the effort into it. Hey sometimes you got to learn from those mistakes.

13. Northern Dancer

In recent years there have been so many camp and Dutch oven cook books written it is hard to screw up a recipe. Do I ever purchase a cook book? Only if I can find them on the shelves of a Value Village or similar recycling stores. In spite of all the good stuff I still find it enjoyable to come up with my own recipes and concoctions. The thing that irritates most when it comes to cook books is the number of ingredients required. I just want something simple, nutritious, easy to make, longevity, takes up little space and not a whole lot of time in preparation. :):chicken:

14. Sweetkymom

Sweetkymom Newbie

I made camp pizza just several months ago for the first time ever. I used the packaged meats that are dried out and intended for camping trips and such along with several other ingredients that were bought at the campground store. It was so good cooked over the open flame.

15. Northern Dancer

I certainly can identify with that.

16. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

My mom purchases cook magazines to see how other peoples' recipes compared to hers. I would try to cook if I got my own food and materials to use. So I would have to play around with my mom's materials until I get my own.

17. campforums

You should look at the cook book section a little harder, they have cook books for everything!! Even for people who don't want to put in a lot of effort. So quick, easy recipes that do not have many ingredients :p

18. Northern Dancer

I know, I know, I need to be more attentive. I look for the perfect book - but I really don't know what that is. :( All the same it's fun. There are sure a lot of them. As 2sweed suggests - I need to do my own book. And we kinda did. :) But...I'm always open to new possibilities. And then there is the net. :happy::bear:

Aw man -I'm missing the summer like crazy - already!

19. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

Hey as long as you got a good book with you you should not be bored. I don't read books often so I am not one to talk about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted