1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Quick Easy Tent Heater

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by 2sweed, Mar 11, 2014.

Tags:
  1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Sometimes when camping the weather can turn cold quickly and without warning. Even a cold rain can make the inside of your tent chilly, and dampen ones spirits or make the day uncomfortable for children. This is a simple safe way to warm up your tent without an open flame.
    Place several medium-sized rocks in your fire until they are hot. Then fill a bucket with them, and turn the bucket upside down on bare ground inside your tent.

If your tent has a sewn in floor, then gather some clean flat rocks and make a solid base in which to over turn the bucket on. If you have no bucket then build up the base making a stone pit to put the hot stones in. Do not lay hot rocks from the fire upon your tent floor, or it may melt or catch on fire.

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Another great idea that I hadn't thought of - it sure works in a home made sauna. In the winter I use a wood burning stove [hot tent camping] as my tent is equipped for the same. Other than that I use a Mr. Heater Buddy - when it rains for more than one day or it is particularly cold on a summer evening. I have to admit though - I'm a bit squeamish about using a throw away propane cylinder so I don't use it often. THANKS!

3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Is there a particular reason for placing the bucket upside down? It seems a little dangerous to be flipping a bucket full of fire hot stones while inside your tent.

4. Northern Dancer

I'm not sure about the turn the bucket over idea either though I know about the clay pot or flower pot heater that I've seen on the net. I experimented with the idea and though the supporters praised the concept as being great I didn't think so.

I have - in fact twice this year so far - boiled flat stones to get them hot, put them in a cloth bag, and placed them inside my sleeping bag at my feet. Warm and cozy, nice and comfy.

5. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

It seems easier to bundle and potentially have a tent-approved space heater. I personally don't do much camping in the rain or the cold, but when I do I come prepared to deal with it. On top of which I prefer to camp on stone during those trips as I can set a large fire and warm the entire shelf. Still this might work well for some folks so thanks for sharing.

6. Northern Dancer

As we know there are numerous possibilities given the circumstances. Reflector fires, heating bottles, hot water bottles, hot tents, buddy heaters, types of sleeping bags, clothing, etc. etc. Safety and practicability would be the dictators.

Interestingly this summer has been cold and wet in our neck of the woods and there were days that I dressed for fall conditions. But then again...as my buddy says...no matter what happens, "it's all part of the adventure."

7. BMWPOWER

BMWPOWER Moderator Staff Member

how long will this "heat" last? 20min?

I think buying a tent approved heated is the way to go

8. Northern Dancer

Hi there -

It all depends on the size of the tent, the tent material, kind of stove, fuel etc. When I am hot tent camping I use a wood burning stove with those artificial fireplace logs. Two of those will keep me toasty for about four hours or so. [Depending how cold it is.] For the summer I've been using a Buddy Heater - when necessary though it warms the place up quickly the single propane canister burns out rather fast.

The reality is I don't use it often as I just can't be bothered. I go for wearing clothing that will give me the added warmth if necessary and a good three season sleeping bad for the summer.

Here is my winter tent though it can be used anytime of the year. As you can see it has an outlet for a stove pipe.

f56544.jpg

9. BMWPOWER

wow that's a proper tent, how much does something like that go for?

10. Northern Dancer

With shipping, taxes, this fee and that fee to my front door? [No coughing or choking now!] this one is twelve hundred dollars. I have three different sizes, two come with stove jacks. It's a far cry from the open tarp that I use to use years ago. This thing has withstood every weather condition imaginable including high winds, torrential rains, and snow blasts. It's not the kind of tent you purchase for a weekend excursion but if you are out for five or six weeks at a time it is a welcomed piece of equipment and worth every cent. The walls are 5 feet [1.5 m] and the centre stands at 9 [2.7 m] - great head room and space to stretch out. For me it really amount to a bed sitting room.

I'm putting together a short video Three Minutes and Forty Seconds
    that shows the inside appointments.

11. BMWPOWER

looking forward to the video. im not surprised its 1200$

12. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

I'll have to start calling you Livingston if you're going to be running around with that sort of tent. Seriously, let's meet up and go on a safari.

campforums likes this.
  13. Northern Dancer

Always good to hear from you!

Well...what can I say? Some people spend their extra cash on that...I spend what I budget for and buy...camp stuff. Now...what does that say about my life? I've been tempted to purchase a simple cottage [whatever that is] but I like the notion of moving about, indeed, without a trailer. :) I do own and use other kinds of tents, depending on what I'm doing. But when it comes to base camp - I ain't lacking for nothin!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
    campforums likes this.
  14. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

It seems to me that the bucket of hot rocks would definitely help to warm up the tent. With the bucket inverted over the top of the rocks, it would act as a radiant heater and dissipate the heat more evenly and slowly than if you just dumped out some rocks onto the ground.

If you had two batches of rocks, you could have one in the tent warming the tent, and the other batch would be heating up in the fire. This would actually operate similar to the candle heater made with flower pots, except the bucket would be what radiates the heat instead of the flower pot.

15. Northern Dancer

If I need some form of heat source in my tent it would be a wood stove for winter or a Buddy Heater for early spring or fall. I just can't be bothered playing around. Though, as I've mentioned, I will use a hot water bottle for my sleeping bag or forgetting that, I have used hot flat rocks. :)

happyflowerlady likes this.
  16. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

Since you do a lot of camping and can afford to have the specialized equipment; there would certainly be no good reason for you to go to the bother to collect and heat up rocks to keep your tent warm. I don't remember whether I have actually ever taken a bucket along when camping, but since my camping was done with the least amount of having to spend money (that I didn't have to spend, in any case); for someone like me, the rocks and bucket idea is very doable.

The things that we do a lot, like you with camping and canoeing, are definitely worth investing money into. When I had horses and rode all of the time, I wanted a good saddle, and a dependable horse to ride on the trails. I also bought some things for riding, just because I liked and wanted them, whether necessary or not.
    Having an interesting hobby is an important part of enjoying life, and we also need the distraction from the more stressful parts of living. After looking at the video and seeing your camping equipment and sheik-like tent, I can see the intensity of your passion for the outdoors. Most awesome....

17. campforums

You would be surprised, sometimes it is the simplest methods that work best. Just because it is expensive, doesn't mean it's good ;)

18. Northern Dancer

Thank you! My life style, in part, has dictated, possibly even mandated my outdoor activity. I do embrace a solitary life style on the one hand as much as I enjoy close friendships on the other. I guess I have a passion for that part of my life that has been well fed from my youth.

I do play and experiment with all kinds of ideas; from making tent furniture to camp gadgets - its fun. When I get into serious camping I tend to be specific about the equipment I bring and how I plan to use it.

33mpn9z.jpg

19. Northern Dancer

Yes...I've learned that lesson the hard way. It is not always about the most expensive but possibly the most sensible and practical application or use. I can assure you that I wouldn't be considering the purchase of a $250.00 flashlight. Some would...because they have more bucks than cents, I mean sense.

20. campforums

The flashlight is a perfect example. Since lights are generally more expensive the bigger and more powerful they are, that $250 one was probably quite big and heavy not to mention the poor battery life. Either that or just extremely over priced. If I am just going camping I don't really need a flood light to turn night into day, just a simple hand held one that can light up a path where I am walking. A good one of these can usually be found for well below the $30 mark without much trouble. I think mine was around $15 and it has an LED bulb and uses AA batteries.

Draft saved Draft deleted