1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Rain fly for hammock

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by killeroy154, Jun 18, 2017.

1. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I have an Enos double hammock and I have been looking at the rain Flys for them. What or where should I get? These Enos brand cost more than the hammock! 17233af31ac162799a362d26202f45f0.jpg I am not spending 80 bucks! Is there a more economical one?

Bibsoutdoors likes this.
  2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

....let me see now. :facepalm: You can go back to the manufacturer OR you could check out Cabela's (and other leading outfitter stores) and see what standard tarps they have. BUT, unless you plan to use the "cheap poly" the ones that are light weight, durable, mostly quiet tarps will cost you more. But they are worth it.

I bet Bibs will have some suggestions.

Attached Files:

3. Madman4800

Madman4800 Survivalist

I have never been hammock camping but hope to do so at some point. Would it be possible to use a old tent fly or tent to make a custom fly.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

4. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

We use Kelty Noah 12 X 12's and Kelty Noah 16 X 16's, when a hammock is involved you can set up any kind of configuration using these. The 16 is the Taj Mahal of tarps. You can cover your hammock and have plenty of room to set up cooking quarters and store gear. 20160409_063919.jpg The 12 (and 16) can be set up to use storm doors so you can batten down the hatches.

5. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...actually I use a MEC Silicone Guides Tarp. :)

6. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I looked up the kelty noah 12x12 and seen one place I can get for 51 bucks. I like that better. I do have an old tent rain fly I might use next time I go, thanks for the idea Madman4800. I think I need to hammock camp a little more before I invest to much, and yes I am cheap. I have big dreams, but after spending 700 bucks on some tires I feel like I am leaking money. Wow still going to be 3 or 4 months before I can go camping uhnn. In parking lot at work, I guess I better get in and start my week.

Bibsoutdoors likes this.
  7. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

Killeroy,

Make sure the tent rain fly is long enough to cover from end to end of your hammock. Most hammocks are at least 10 feet long, I don't know many rain flies from tents that long, I maybe mistaken but you don't want one end or the other or worse both ends sticking out of the rain fly if indeed it does begin to rain. Lol, you'll have yourself a bath tub...in the air! Lol.

8. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

OK thanks. I'll have to check that. I also prefer something over me through the night cause you never know who or what could be roosting above you.

Bibsoutdoors likes this.
  9. FootPathOne

FootPathOne Pathfinder

IMG_1700.JPG
    The hypotenuse is 14ft for a 10ft X 10ft tarp.

I use a tarp hang distance of 1ft or less over the hammock during times of wet weather -n- heavy wind.

My tarp hang distance is 1ft or more over the hammock during times of dry weather -n- moderate wind.

killeroy154 and Northern Dancer like this.
  10. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Thank you all for your advice. I have purchased a mosquito net after losing some blood while napping in the yard 664cf62d5b6808dec56382bd18c5a994.jpg time to invest in a good rain fly.

FootPathOne likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted