1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Ran out of toilet paper

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by JoshPosh, Oct 27, 2014.

Tags:
  1. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

Let's say you're in the bush, camping, and you run out of toilet paper. What are you going to use in it's place? I would use leafs. What would you use?

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

THAT is really hard to imagine. It has never happened to me BECAUSE I have a small utility kit [fits into the pocket] that has enough toilet paper to see me through. BUT..if it came to that situation I probably do what you have done. ONLY...I would be making absolutely sure that it wasn't poison ivy or some other sort of plant.

Rule one when we go tripping - "Did we remember the toilet paper?"

certs17 likes this.
  3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

I've done many trips without toilet paper. It's just one of those things that slip your mind. Trust me, you can survive without toilet paper. Leaves work fine. If you're not comfortable with that, then tear up the shirt on your back for TP.

4. Northern Dancer

True - we do what we have to do. I'm into no trace camping so I take a bit of time to assure that I have all the essentials necessary. We don't venture out without the check list. :thumbsup:

certs17 likes this.
  5. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I would probably jump in the lake... But honestly I am rather disgusted by the thought of not having any toilet paper available.

certs17 likes this.
  6. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

In other parts of the world using toilet paper is considered only partially clean. Imagine if you're in the shower and instead of bathing, you pull out some sheets of tissue and wipe the dirt off of you. Is that clean? Nope. Same goes for your anus. I'm in the Philippines right now, and here they splash water or use a sprayer to blast that dirty part of you until it is full clean. If you did use your hand to agitate you anus then you would use soap and water to clean your hand.

Baby wipes would be better than toilet paper for camping. If you can't get enough water to rinse yourself off, then baby pipes will get you by with a quick cleaning. Ask any American soldier in the middle east, what's one of their necessary items..........baby wipes.

7. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Eh, I would never ever use leaves - at the very worst I'll just re-purpose something else on me. I will not however be using leaves... that's just a great way to leave me itchy and possibly the most uncomfortable I've ever been. And what if you introduce a fungus or something there? I mean a damp, filthy, dark orifice is not the best place to be wiping at with unclean pieces of unknown foliage.

certs17 and campforums like this.
  8. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

I just watch Naked and Afraid. Its a reality show where the participants are naked. They were talking about what they used for toilet paper in the bush. One later said she used round pebbles to wipe her ass. Well, as long as it was smooth, it's all good.

certs17 likes this.
  9. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Yeah I have heard about the toilet habits in some other countries like for example in China it is apparently common that instead of a toilet, their restrooms just have a sorta hole in the ground which you can squat over. Are the public washrooms like that also in the Philippines? I can imagine it would be even harder to keep the washrooms clean if they had a sprayer in them as well.

I can see the point of baby wipes, that makes sense. It is the same thing as moistening a piece of toilet paper but I still disagree that showering and wiping yourself are analogous.

Sounds like a strange show... :S

10. JessiFox

JessiFox Novice Camper

Well that's an interesting perspective, but I see what you mean there. And aside from trying to utilize water if possible, I'd probably just go with leaves as well....better than some of the alternatives.

11. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Leaves although, not poison ones. Lots of leaves if I forgot the toilet paper.

12. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Novice Camper

Well that all depends. If I am in the woods... leaves of course. If I'm near water, I'm use dirty clothes to wipe then clean it in the water. In the desert... old cloth. I never had to worry about it though, being a woman... the first thing I do is make for sure I have two things packed. Toilet paper and tissue. I run out of tp I still have the tissue.

campforums likes this.
  13. Northern Dancer

I'm with you - I simply just don't run out. Right bear? :bear: I guess so, I don't use the same and if I must it has to be images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSp_KDcEmhgnwPlWm-qxX6xKcUTy9xCI-BZKl6V03ynsbXnKRnZ-w.jpg

14. sea_goin_dude

sea_goin_dude Novice Camper

I figure you only run out of toilet paper ONCE. So you never forget next time. Use any extra spot in your pack to carry another roll. mash it flat so it takes up less space. ANY BY ANY MEANS ANYONE GOING OUTSIDE THE US ON A TRIP, USE EVERY AVAILABLE SPACE TO CARRY TOILET PAPER. YOU MAY NOT SEE ANY TOILET PAPER UNTIL YOU GET BACK TO THE US. GB and EUROPE. even take photo of your home toilet because THAT TOO YOU MAY NOT SEE ANOTHER ONE UNTIL YOU GET BACK FROM YOUR TRIP. Spent time in Europe and those HOLES IN THE FLOOR toilets JUST DON'T DO IT FOR ME. You will know for sure when you get back home just how good we americans have it and sometimes don't realize it. HAVE A GOOD TRIP.

Nurseypoop likes this.
  15. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

You may think this is absurd but this is what I usually do when I am in the woods and doing my private thing. I use the water in the canteen because the toilet paper is not friendly with my butt. I need water for that and using my canteen will not raise a howl from anyone, right?

16. Northern Dancer

I always supply my own source of paper at base and interior sites including a trowel. This is what you are supposed to do and you will see in my equipment, along with a good hand sanitizer and biodegradable toilet paper a toilet paper waterproof bag. As regular camping/canoe people, we follow all the protocols to assure health and safety. The subject matter, though delicate, is to be taken seriously. People who forget such necessities are considered untrained or amateur at best. Checking your list and packing several days before the event will prevent such occurrences from happening. I think this is my final word on the subject. :(:)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQw2OEpFeuwJ8xKTuOAWyhxFGKRCuFy-BF3_8BikLNmxTqkExIs.jpg There are several products from Sea to Summit

Draft saved Draft deleted