1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Real or Fake???

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Northern Dancer, Nov 20, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

So...what do you think? Is it real or is it fake?

treetower.jpe

We are talking about that tall pine tree.

Looks good - but actually it is a Bell Canada Communications tower off Highway 60 in Algonquin Park. It's all part of a greater plan to stop marring beautiful landscapes. Ontario still prevents corporations from putting up those large ugly signs along the highway. Though I've noticed that there are companies and invested interest groups that do it anyway and flaunt the law. Sad...we don't only want to clutter our homes with junk we want to trash the natural beauty too. :(

happyflowerlady likes this.
  2. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Seems like a great idea if it does not attract to many lighting bolts. Looks great standing in a forest of trees. :)

3. Northern Dancer

It is so...so...good to see you online.

You will be happy to learn that the State of Florida has been experimenting in the use of palm trees.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  4. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Novice Camper

Would have been better if it did not stick out like a sore thumb. LMAO but that is awesome that they made it to look like apart of the land scape.

5. Northern Dancer

I've seen them and the first thing that came to mind - it was almost to perfect to be real. It had that uncanny green that didn't seem to fit the environment. The studies that they have done suggest that most people are totally unaware of their presence - it's just a another tree.

6. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

During the spring and summer they blend in a bit better, I have seen them in other areas as well although I might have actually seen that exact one also since I've been on Hwy. 60 to Algonquin before.

7. Northern Dancer

There is one at Whiskey Rapids Trail on the Oxtongue River (Highway 60 corridor) which is massive; it's located at the parking lot side close to the start of the trail. Look for it the next time you are in. Interesting to go around to the back of the tree and see a door. I'm checking my photo file - I'm sure I have a picture of it somewhere.

8. campforums

I wonder how many of these you've seen... but you haven't seen, if you know what I mean lol.

Maybe some are better camouflaged than others.

9. Northern Dancer

2rctxz9.jpg If you look up at the top you can see the steel bar.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  10. campforums

So what is the bark made of? I've only seen them from a distance, or is this one a real tree with the electronic equipment mounted at the top of a tall tree?

11. Northern Dancer

This is actually a constructed tree. The bark - looks very real but it is made out of some kind of metal, perhaps a sheathing type material. When you get close you appreciate almost immediately something isn't right.

12. campforums

Oh, I couldn't even tell from the picture. I wonder what the local animals thing, I bet the birds especially can tell from the texture.

13. Northern Dancer

My experience with animals and insects is that they know when something is not right. If you put a can of diet pop out insects will ignore the same with just a passing glance. Put a can of coke out they would be crawling into it.

14. campforums

I guess they would be the masters of the Coke vs. Pepsi taste test then, if they are sensitive enough to sniff out the sugar vs. the aspartame. Did you discover that experiment first hand?

15. Northern Dancer

I discovered that by accident. It is my practice when I'm in the interior (and regular camp) to use containers that I can see into. Thus, I use white bowls, cups, and plates - all to be able to see what's crawling around.

I had a diet coke in a container and my buddy had set a can of regular coke down. We got chatting away and I reached for my see through diet coke and there were no creatures to be seen. He reached for his coke can and when he raised it to his lips was immediately stung by a yellow jacket. Talk about commotion; the whole damn park heard him scream.

Someone else was telling me about the time a guy picked up a can of something or other to be horrified as earwigs came crawling out. I've gone a bit to far on this one...

16. campforums

Nasty, I guess he should keep his drink in his hand in the future so that he can swat away and insects that try to get in there when he's not sipping. I might give this experiment a try just for the fun of it in my backyard or something. I'd be interested to see if your prediction that the diet coke remains untouched is accurate if I leave it out for a day or two :p

17. Northern Dancer

Let me see now.... o_O we have a bit of time to wait....how can I make this a challenge and keep our identities hidden? Hmm.....

Okay...I've got it. :finger: Come June [we can pick a specific date as it gets near] you can put out the two cans. If the diet coke is left untouched and ignored BUT the regular can of coke invites the bugs THEN YOU MAKE ANY KIND OF DONATION YOU WANT TO THE LOCAL ANIMAL SHELTER.

Accept the honour challenge??? :happy: :bear: I'm back again and I don't know why.

A sunny afternoon for an hour or two should be all th at is necessary.

18. campforums

Okay, sounds like a plan. Although I might need reminding by the time June comes around.

19. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I will supply you with the cans. The bugs are free.
    upload_2014-12-4_23-3-53.jpeg

20. Northern Dancer

I can do that. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted