1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Recommend a good book!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by TABL, Sep 16, 2013.

1. TABL

TABL Explorer

I saw in the thread about hobbies that we have a lot of readers on the board. Everln though we have all different tastes and interests, I thought it would be fun to recommend books to eachother.

I just finished the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo series. Awesome! I loved them a lot. I am trying to watch the movies (in Swedish) on netflix.
    Also, I'm going to give in and read the 50 shades of gray series... because Charlie Hunnam is going to be in the movie and I triple pink heart love him!!!! :p

2. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I love reading books about real life outdoor living and adventures. I also like to learn about the old ways of doing things, like the use of wild plants for eating and for medicine. So I am going to add a few of my favorites and add more on later. Some are out of print but can be found on amazon or in used book stores.
    • Backyard Medicine by Julie Bruton-Seal & Matthew Seal
    • Winterdance by Gary Paulsen (funny)
    • Crazy White Man by Richard Morenus (About a man moving into the wilds of Canada)
    • Ride The Wind by Lucia St. Clair Robson
    • Mountain Man by Vardis Fisher
    • Follow The River by James Alexander Thom
    I often read these books about once a year. They all provide some good instruction, as well as, humor and what not to do. While they are not about camping, they do include tips and ways of living in the woods and knowledge of plants, and animals.

3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Well I recently read through the entire Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) series of books in about 2 months, which I thought was pretty quick considering there's 5 of them each about 1000 pages long.

4. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I found and read a couple older books that are really helpful for camping, as well as, backpacking and some survival knowledge. I love it when I find books on camping at the local used book stores. Old boy scout handbooks and magazines are helpful as well.

Roughing It Is Easy, by Dian Thomas Lots of great advice and supply lists.
    The One Burner Gourmet by Harriett Barker Filled with good recipes using regular food items & dried foods.

5. campforums

They are helpful indeed, I have found that books on camping contain a lot of knowledge that you don't typically learn from everyday conversation from people about camping. That's why I refer to books sometimes when making posts here.

6. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

If you haven't read it yet...

Field & Stream
    THE TOTAL "OUTDOORSMAN" MANUAL
    T. Edward Nickens and Editors of Field & Stream
    374 Skills you need - [Camp, Fish, Hunt, Survive]
    No I.S.B.N. number, it just says - weldonowen YES THERE IS... Flexi Edition ISBN 978-1-61628-382-7 [2011 Weldon Owen Inc.]

Good "stuff", funny too. Excellent photography, sensible wisdom, good illustrations; suitable for the novice and the more experienced outdoors person.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  7. campforums

Is this the one?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10870312-the-total-outdoorsman-manual

8. Northern Dancer

[Checking it out...] Yes!
    I'm not keen on a lot of outdoor books because it seems to me they are often written for the person writing them. Or so it seems. I place a high value on this particular text.

9. Northern Dancer

:p And then there is the issue of cookbooks for campers. Ever noticed that so many recipes have - what seems to be thousands of ingredients? I have a couple of cookbooks (actually a few more) that are fun and for the most part simple. [I'm sure there are others out there and I would like to know about them too.]

1 The Ultimate 4 Ingredient Cookbook - over 700 recipes that require only four ingredients
    by Jo Richardson
    Chancellor Press Press 2003 ISBN 0 7537 0458 - 7
    As well as a variety of recipes there are several guide and tip pages for people like me including the conversion chart.

2 A Man, A Can, A Plan
    "50 Great Guy Meals even you can make!"
    by David Joachim (Men's Health)
    Rodale Press 2002 ISBN 1-5794-6-7-2
    A fun book and done well for what it is. Yep...it is suppose to be a man's book.

I use cookbooks principally for ideas and adapt them to my outdoor situation. Oh, yeah - I'm into Dutch Oven and Can Cooker recipes too.

Would like to learn of other good books on camp cooking and any special simple recipe that you might be using.

10. campforums

That 4 ingredient cookbook one is really interesting to me because I am very lazy when it comes to preparing myself meals. I do like to eat healthy though, so something with simple preparations that is filling and tasty would be great.

11. Northern Dancer

The cookbook was a bit better than I first thought - it covers just about any circumstance.

12. Northern Dancer

upload_2017-1-28_16-50-29.jpeg - Second Edition
    As an Educator I've always had trouble with the words like idiot and dumb. But..........I guess I can be forgiving in this case.

I picked up this manual at a Church Book sale for the sum total of $1.00 [that would be approximately .73 cents American :) .]

Though the many topics are not new to me I had to admit this would have been more than an excellent start book. The articles are well written, informative and accurate. I especially liked how it is laid out.

Not to freak you out or anything it begins each chapter with a teaching outline or plan. I also liked the Tenderfoot Tips [old Scout term], Safety Tips, Ranger Regulations and Campfire Lore, and the friendly advice on introducing children to the joys of camping right through to winter camping. At the outset it has a "Complete Idiot's Reference Card". AND it has humour [Canadian Spelling]. It's a great reference book and covers a lot of questions that many of our Camping Babblers frequently ask.

I recommend it for the amateur and pro alike.

I've got another dollar to spend and I'm looking for these =======>

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQRzrTppNYCMaQaVUB4KbidLdJ6V2i93hqPSmnLywLAuc9ST6oXCA.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSaQmcd2cWdpOIhe4FoS-0kLTfwpnCvi4ody6hgtsI2M13jV1Kv.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-4SZ2WDMkKaE8AfAuhks400vF2dErNCEAA7bn_amTGg8qq6sp.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLTYUJjpx9jRAchBIx5Esc36rfh84wrvsh7SlMQHMlUAIYlKsK.jpg :)

13. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

My wife got me this one for Christmas. I am enjoying it, and maybe this fall I might make an attempt at it. 0b6f1b75345c5ba35a753cc71be8b1fb.jpg

14. Northern Dancer

@killeroy154 ...if anyone can you certainly are that person. This fall? That means you have to wait almost a whole cotton pickin year. The rivers, streams, lakes, marsh lands, and other water ways wait for your creation. :) After all there are...count them...eight possibilities.

killeroy154 likes this.
  15. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

If you like canoeing, I would suggest an author named Sigurd Olson. He describes his canoeing adventures on the boundary waters and other adventures up north in Canada.

Bibsoutdoors

Northern Dancer likes this.
  16. Northern Dancer

---------------------------- >
    I like Sigurd Olson's stuff especially "Listening Point" - I still take it with me.

Bibsoutdoors likes this.
  17. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

WOW, you've heard of Sig Olson, your not a US citizen. Only a small handful of people admit to knowing him as an author. Most people in this country are oblivious, nuts most people in this country are nothing more than oblivious on their best days! Ha Ha!

Bibsoutdoors

18. Northern Dancer

...another of my favourites is Ben Hunt. He was an incredible guy who was steeped in Indian Lore. I used a lot of his ideas over the years.

upload_2017-2-14_18-27-56.jpeg upload_2017-2-14_18-28-35.jpeg upload_2017-2-14_18-30-22.jpeg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTvTDp8jbswdcUq8__Ro2vzX6Lt-TcC1ERMoFbiM6dC1kVabg_f.jpg All good stuff.

killeroy154 likes this.
  19. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

I always look forward to new. reads especially when they come out of the blue like this. I will check them out, thank you.

Bibsoutdoors

killeroy154 likes this.
  20. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Thanks to both of you @Bibsoutdoors and @Northern Dancer, I was going to order a book called Lost On The Appalachian Trail and I needed another book so I could get free shipping. I forgot about Sig Olsen. I have heard of him from my Boundry Waters Journals. So I ordered The Lonely Land along with Lost On The Appalachian Trail.

I subscribed to The Boundry Waters Journal a few years ago. My wife was intrigued at how much I liked them that she found 10 years worth of them and got them for me for a Christmas present. She said that when they were delivered she had to unload the box on the carport and carry a few in at a time because she couldn't pickup the box. She wrapped the box full of em, I don't know how she did it, and had them under the tree. I love em.

So thanks again for the idea.

Bibsoutdoors likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted