1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Recommend a good book!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by TABL, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

Killroy154, Hi, Looking through some of the suggestions in the book lists Northern Dancer had a couple of ideas I'm going to check out. It's fun when new books "come at you from out of the blue." I will be very interested in your thoughts about your choice "The Lonely Land." The Listening Point Foundation (Sig Olson's group that maintained his home and Listening Point, where his shack was at) sent me two items that I had already purchased from the gift shop there. The book "Spirit of the North" and a dvd called "The Wilderness World of Sigurd F. Olson." If you or anyone else might be interested, I'd be happy to send one or both two you. I'm blathering on, I'll be interested in hearing your opinion on the book. My best your way. Bibs

By the way, wives are wonderful creatures when they are in sink with us! Ha Ha!

Bibsoutdoors

2. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

A couple other books I've really enjoy (I'm one who thinks a book is only as good as the number of times you read it) they would be; "Fire Season" by Phillip Conners (If you like this book check out "Young Men and Fire" by Norman Mclean) "A Sand County Almanac" by Aldo Leopold. Cheers everyone. Bibs

Bibsoutdoors

3. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

HELP ME. . .HELP ME. . .I can't seem to stop my nonsense! Another book if you like humor out on the trail: "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson. He's a funny guy.

"Black Elk Speaks" by John G. Neihardt taught me that we (meaning all things) are connected no matter how much you think yourself above any one or any thing. First time I read this was in college and it woke this 18 year old knuckle head up.

I'll try to stop now. . .REALLY!

Bibsoutdoors

Northern Dancer likes this.
  4. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

Man this auto correct is a pain and I really need to start proof reading my blatherings. My apologies to all how have tried to read this nonsense.

Bibsoutdoors

5. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Yes A Walk in The Woods, I read that one and truly enjoyed it. The movie was good, but like most movies the book was better. I am pretty sure one of the scenes was shot here in the smokey mtns at a place called the Chimneys. It was a pretty good hike maybe a couple of miles from the road. I can relate to books about the Appalachian trail just because I live near parts of it. Which reminds me I better quit doughnut pushing and get in shape. Wifey wanting to do some hiking this spring.
    I am reading one now called The Thousand Mile Summer written by Collins Fletcher.

Well, lunch time. I guess I'll go raid the vending machine they have doughnuts with coconut on them. Uummm I love doughnuts.

6. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

Your appreciation for the donut makes me smile!

I didn't know a movie was made out of Brysons book. Live and learn! Ha

Ok, you get this all the time I'm sure but will take the chance anyway. Do you happen to know any of the gorge rats or more than likely they are located in a completely different location from where you are at? UTube videos make me ask the question.

I hope you post your experiences on your hikes and camp outs here on this forum. I sure would like to hear about them.

Enjoy the up coming weekend and I'm looking forward to hearing more from you. Cheers, Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors

Draft saved Draft deleted