1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Recommend me a Barrel Harness

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by campforums, Apr 17, 2019.

1. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Hey guys and gals,

I am looking to buy a barrel harness for some canoe tripping this season and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with any specific brands or models?

I have seen a look of good reviews about Recreational Barrel Works but I also read they are a made in China now and the quality has declined.

Cheaper is always better I guess, but I don't mind spending money on something which is good quality and will last me many years.

Thanks

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Here I am.

It's a tricky question because you are right about quality. Having said that there are not a lot of brands out there because it is still a rarity and it is the pack that brings in the buck to the retailers. In some instances, in fact, most, the barrel and the pack are separate items. That's because, such as my case, they are used for canoe transport only.

So...what to do? You check out Cabela's, Sail, MEC and other outdoor stores and see what they have on the shelf. Probably best to go online and make the comparisons. Like I've said many times - I make every attempt to buy on sale.

I got my barrel from Sail but when I was checking out our local surplus store I found they had a better deal.

Here are a few stores in the Toronot area -

Mountain Equipment Co-op
    With two locations (King Street and North York)
    Bass Pro Shops
    Although this sporting megaplex at Vaughan Mills
    Sail
    This Quebec import in Vaughan is comparable in size to Bass Pro Shops
    The Complete Paddler
    This South Etobicoke store has a huge showroom that displays a wide array of kayaks, canoes, paddle boards, tents, sleeping bags and camping accessories.
    Canadian Tire - Mega Stores
    Looking for cheaper last-minute items on your way to the campground?
    Atmosphere
    The store at the Shops at Don Mills carries coolers, tents, sleeping bags, camping wear, shoes from all the big adventure brands, and all the camp accessories you didn't even know you needed.
    The Canadian Outdoor Equipment Co.
    4.6 (118) · Camping store, Mississauga, ON, (905) 990-1750
    Check out Princes Auto - they have great prices on camp stuff

Nuff Said

upload_2019-4-18_9-0-50.jpeg

The harness comes in different styles according to the type of barrel - and that is important to keep in mind.

:)

3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Thanks for all of those great (local) recommendations. I wasn't aware of a couple of those, I did end up going to MEC and checking out the harnesses in person and I was pretty surprised that the cheapest harness they had actually felt like the best quality to me or at least pretty close to the most expensive one. The Ostrom one which was priced in the middle was by far the worst of the 3 in my opinion, there was only single stitching in places where the other harnesses had double or triple stitches in a cross pattern.

Anyways, I am very happy with my purchase and looking forward to using it soon!

Northern Dancer likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted