1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Recommendations for a kayak with a lot of storage capabilities?

Discussion in 'On the Water' started by Lanna, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Lanna

Lanna Newbie

Hi everyone! I'm in the market for a set of sit-in kayaks that have plenty of storage capabilities so I wouldn't need an additional pack. My dream kayak would be able to fit all of my clothing, food, and gear. I need this because I have a mile long walk to my favorite campsite and it would be a pain to have to carry the kayak separately for everything else I need. Because of the walk, it would also have to be pretty light. Preferably, the kayak would be well under $1,000. Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance!

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Well the lightest types of kayaks are skin-on-frame boats, they are the type which were traditionally used by natives for fishing. The down side of these are that they are very expensive, fragile and some people complain that they are uncomfortable to sit in. This is the type that folding kayaks would be closest too, you also have to be careful for sharp objects that might puncture the fabric. Here's a picture of this type,

framework.jpg

The two types of kayaks you probably most interested in would be plastic and fiberglass/composite. With your budget you could probably go with fiberglass. Is the $1000 budget for a set of 2? If you plan on walking with your kayak for a mile and find you're prone to banging it into things like trees or dropping in on the ground, I would probably go with plastic because it is more resistant to cracking than fiberglass is however it is a bit heavier.

Also there is another thread on kayak shopping over here you might want to check out:
    http://www.campingbabble.com/threads/i-want-to-get-my-son-a-kayak.60/

3. Lanna

Lanna Newbie

Thanks for the quick reply! The $1,000 budget would be per kayak, though if I were able to find two great kayaks for $1,000 I would certainly be happy :)

You mentioned folding kayaks, which I had never heard of. Those are awesome! That's definitely what I would be looking for as far as convenience, but you're right about the price. I'm very prone to bumping into things myself, but I don't think I would have too much trouble with a fiberglass kayak. The weight issue would be more important to me and I would just be extra careful to not drop the kayak.

Thank you for the information, and I'll definitely check out that other thread. I know this is a good season to buy kayaks (they normally go on sale around now) so I'm hoping to make a purchase relatively soon.

4. campforums

No problem! And yeah, you can save a lot of money by buying things that are out of season (not just kayaks). The foldings ones might be helpful if you live in an apartment that doesn't offer storage or don't have a big car but I don't see it as being very advantageous for carrying it. I don't find the shape of a normal kayak too awkward to carry, do be careful though - you wouldn't want your new kayak to have duck tape patches on it after its first use. :banghead:

Also another option if you want to save some money is keep an eye open for used deals on sites like craigslist or on bulletin boards at community areas. Another place to check is places that rent kayaks and sporting equipment, they are always replacing their stuff with the newest and often times sell their old gear for very reasonable prices. Just make sure you're extra careful because these get a lot of wear and tear being used constantly by the people renting them.

5. Lanna

Lanna Newbie

That's an awesome idea! There's a kayaking renting business(?) right down the street from where I live. I bet they offer a program like that because I've noticed they have new canoes and kayaks every year. I can't imagine they just throw them away.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm really hoping they sell their old stuff for a discount because they're super high quality kayaks. I'm glad I posted this!

6. campforums

Great, that's convenient for you. I'm glad I could help and good luck shopping!

Draft saved Draft deleted