1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Reducing Bug Bite Inflammation

Discussion in 'Nature' started by campforums, Sep 4, 2014.

1. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I have the unfortunate luck to always react badly to bug bites of all kinds so I always have a large inventory of treatments in my inventory.

Things that have worked well:
    • Benadryl (I generally only use this if I have a lot of bites, or one that is HUGE because it tends to make you sleepy)
    • After-Bite (seems to work really well on small sized lumps)
    • Polysporin (doesn't do much for swelling, but it is great for if the blister bursts and you have an open wound)
    • Ice (you might have noticed that bumps become warm when they are swollen, ice will help reduce swelling)
    Things that don't work:
    • Calamine lotion (doesn't seem to really make much difference in the itching for very long, but it does make a mess)
    • Aloe (it feels sorta nice when you are rubbing it on but I haven't found it to be very effective)
    • Alcohol wipes (They don't really provide much relief but I use them anyways to prevent infection)
    • Itching, poking or scraching (NEVER do this!! Even though it feels soooo good :joyful: )
    I will try to keep this list updated at I remember other products I've tried

2. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

Ice can be cool when reducing that swelling from bug bites. I just don't won't to get bit by mosquitoes that have west nile. Benadryl works well for allergies and that stuff knocks me out.

3. BMWPOWER

BMWPOWER Moderator Staff Member

would these work for a bee bite?

4. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

For bee bites, Benadryl is great for stopping allergic reactions. However, to stop the pain and swelling mix together a baking soda and water into a paste and put it on the bite stings. This really works, my grandmother pasted me up as a child after I got stung by several bumble bees.

5. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Thanks for the tip, I have never tried baking soda but I think it is one of those items which has a million-and-one uses and I am always learning about new uses for baking soda o_O

6. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

I would not have thought of using baking soda on a bee sting. I did not think baking soda could be used as a pain reliever and swell remedy for the bites. Looks like I would be looking for baking soda for bee stings.

7. Jessi

Jessi Novice Camper

I love alcohol wipes for bug bites actually. They tend to kill the itch on things like mosquito bites especially. I just pour on straight rubbing alcohol when I have it available, too.

And yes, baking soda and vinegar (not water) are amazing together as a paste to slather onto bites. It reduces swelling, forces out any toxins, and provides a cooling effect that is like no other. <3

8. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

I would have just probably pour a bottle of rubbing alcohol on the wound. I would usually use Lysol wipes to clean surfaces.

Draft saved Draft deleted