1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Reese watching a school of fish - and then fall in.

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Northern Dancer, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Reese was watching a school of fish with great fascination until he slipped off the log and joined them.
    amuudk.jpg

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Nice picture, you really captured the moment. Is your dog Reese a lab?

Our dog is always fascinated by the fish tank we have in the house although I've never been able to get ours close enough to a school of fish for something like this. He looks so intrigued.

3. Northern Dancer

Thanks - he's not a purebred Lab but most wouldn't know that just by looking at him. He's a great camp companion and I have never had any obedience problems.

4. campforums

I was going to say he looked a but slimmer than most of the labs I have seen. I'm not much of a dog expert but I think the whole pure bred things is somewhat overrated. Especially when you look at all the new breeds that they are constantly creating and giving new names for.

5. Northern Dancer

Agreed...I got a purebred chocolate Lab before I got Reese. the chocolate was the dog from hell. I couldn't get that creature to do anything - and I am talking about the basics. He went - with everything - I found Reese locked up in a animal shelter and after a few visits we became friends and I took him home. I have never regretted it.

6. campforums

More people need to do that and adopt dogs from shelters, there is no reason why we should have so many animals like that when so many people want pet dogs. On the other hand, I can see why some people would not want to become as emotionally attached to an older dog as the would with a younger one.

7. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Thanks for sharing. Very good picture of how a dog being too curious can end up getting dunked. But he certainly looks very interested in the fish behavior. I had a dog years ago that was of the same color and markings of Reese. My dog Amos Moses, loved to climb trees in Florida, and would often climb quite high up in the old live oak trees while chasing squirrels. He never fell out but had some close calls and was smart enough to learn not to go so high up in trees that there was no safe way down.

8. Northern Dancer

Thank you! He really is a great companion.

9. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

I've had mixed experiences with either - the thing I've found is that purebreds need to come from breeders with great reputations even if they are maybe a bit more expensive, whereas you have to be more careful about the ones at the pound in terms of possible issues. That said a great dog is nothing to sneeze at and I'm glad you got a good one in Reese.

10. Northern Dancer

I did - there is nothing as satisfying on a canoe/camp trip in having a dog that is better trained than you are.

11. 2sweed

When I was in Florida, my boyfriend's brother had 2 black labs that loved to be near the canal near their home. Whenever my boyfriend crossed the canal in his small boat, (we lived on a island), to go to work, these dogs would jump off the dock onto the very back of his boat to watch the fish and alligators swim by and the two of them often came close to sinking the motor and flooding his small boat. No amount of yelling at them stopped this activity. His brother finally had to pen them up until my boyfriend got back from work and headed home. Some are very smart and others can create problems if not controlled or trained well.

12. Northern Dancer

Part of it is in the training they receive. My dog has been trained to be in a canoe. BUT having said that he is still a dog and on occasion will completely surprise me with his antics.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  13. 2sweed

True enough! I love dogs and always enjoyed having my dog along when hiking in the woods no matter what the season. I taught my dogs to be respectful of wildlife, not to chase or harm any wild animal. We would often watch deer in the fields and step carefully over or around baby fawns in the forest. Sometimes the little fellow would be laying right next to a log across the path and we would step over them before seeing it lying there. What a treat.
    But as you say dogs have a mind of their own and mine would often chase rabbits and once in a while come back with a few porcupine quills in his face for me to pull out. Out of sight good manners are often forgotten for a few minutes. :)

14. Northern Dancer

My dog is well behaved but on one occasion he was sprayed by a skunk. I always keep skunk detergent as part of his equipment but I never thought that I would have to use it. Keeping him contained until I could throw him in the lake was an exercise in itself. That stuff...if it touches anything clings like cement. I wasn't smelling much better either after handling him and it took the whole bottle to get relief. I haven't had any trouble since and I have a hunch that when he sees a black and white he won't ask the creature to play.

Draft saved Draft deleted