1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Refilling Propane Canisters

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Bibsoutdoors, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

This looks like a credible possibility, has anyone tried this or something similar? The cost savings sure looks appealing.

2. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Wow that's a good idea! I'd screw it up somehow, and end up like my uncle Johnny no thumbs. He sold fire works.

Bibsoutdoors likes this.
  3. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

Yeah, it's a good idea until I accidentally over fill the canister and find shrapnel in my chest! Ouch!
    I think I'm going to by a scale and give this a try. If you never hear from me again, one of two things may have happened. 1) I'm dead from wounds received while over filling. 2) I'm under arrest for having drug paraphernalia in my car as I travel home from the store with it.
    FB_IMG_1497039970676.jpg

sea_goin_dude and killeroy154 like this.
  4. sea_goin_dude

sea_goin_dude Novice Camper

This should be safe with reasonable care. The adapters I have seen are easy to use and you can't exceed the pressure of the original large tank so should be easy to do and save you some bucks too if you use a lot of the smaller canisters. I only have a lamp and a cooktop that uses the canisters but I have thought of buying one of the filler adapters just to have it available if we have a spell of power outage during the winter. If somebody has and has used the adapter, let us know what you think and how long it takes etc. I imagine any of the big box stores, walmarts, home depot, lowes, tractor supply, as well as hunting / fishing outlets will have them.

5. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

9554e05170efac08c841494bfa44bd83.jpg if you were to see one of these over east Tennessee, you'll know I did something stupid.

6. sea_goin_dude

sea_goin_dude Novice Camper

NOT AGAIN -----

7. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

For the cost of the container I simply purchase new. I do take the head off and recycle something that you can't do with the propane bottle. Because of that I tend to take a tank and refill. Have you noticed the increased cost of those small cylinders? I have a hunch that governments will legislate against them soon; either that or the cost will be restrictive.

upload_2017-6-28_17-34-0.jpeg OR upload_2017-6-28_17-38-51.jpeg OR upload_2017-6-28_17-43-36.jpeg
    ...IS BETTER FOR THE ENVIRONMENT?
    Sorry, we are talking about refills and not environment.

Draft saved Draft deleted