1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

REI Half Dome 2+

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by bigmuddyriver, Jul 9, 2017.

1. I just purchased one of these and it seems like a good tent. I have heard that there is a problem with the poles breaking very easily. Was wondering if anyone here has any experience good or bad with this tent. I will use it for self supported cycling trips and can't afford a failure miles from anywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Hello bigmuddyriver, I just sat down to eat egg sandwich and seen your post. I read some of the reviews about your tent. Most all were very favorable except the one about the pole problem you mentioned. I would make sure to put it up a few times, while you are home, to see if any issues or malfunctions. Maybe person with pole failure got bad or damaged pole. Sometimes people get in hurry and try to muscle something together. Pole failure is a real concern when you have to depend on your gear. Welcome to the site. Don't be a stranger.

Alexandoy likes this.
  3. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

You are right, @killeroy154 because I usually test any equipment or gear that I buy before using it for the purpose. Especially with camping equipment it would be a sorry situation if you had brought along a tent that is faulty. I couldn't imagine your disgust if you couldn't use that tent properly when you are already in the campsite. Anyway, that is a neat lesson to campers to check everything that they will bring to be sure that they are in perfect order otherwise the camping trip might be spoiled.

Draft saved Draft deleted