1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Returning to WINTER CAMPING...

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by Northern Dancer, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Is Winter Camping For You?

Camping may be the quintessential summer activity but that doesn’t mean you have to hang up your tent when the weather gets cold. For the die hard campers among us, the weekends between Queen Victoria or Memorial Day and Labour Day are simply not enough to scratch the itch that is the desire to sleep under the stars. The truth is that with proper gear and preparation there’s no reason that your camping adventures can’t take you deep into the winter. And we’re not just talking about the campers that live in temperate southern climates. No what the latitude or altitude is where you live, there is a way to get out and about when the mercury drops. Think we’ve lost our minds? Let us convince you otherwise!

What’s so awesome about winter camping?

• Peace and quiet! Even the busiest of summer campsites are often totally deserted in the winter. Once things get a little harder on the camping front, a lot of people head for home. If you’ve been longing for some seclusion but been finding it hard to come across, winter camping has your name all over it!
    • Lack of bugs … and bears. Many of the critters that can make summer camping annoying or downright dangerous are not out and about when things get cold. With snow on the ground and temperatures possibly below freezing, insects and spiders will not be a problem and bears will have long since entered hibernation. :bear: He's right about that.
    • Access to places and activities that aren’t available in the summer. Your favorite summer fishing hole may become your favourite ice skating rink if you just give it a chance! Chances are good that the places you love in the summer will feel totally different in the winter.
    • You can see for miles and miles! Speaking of a change in perspective, with the leaves all gone from the trees you will be able to see way farther than you ever have before. Photographers will love the striking change of scenery that the winter landscape provides.
    • The satisfaction of not taking winter lying down. Winter can be a challenging time for people who love to be outside. It’s easy to curl up under your comforter and pine for warmer days to come but we promise that you’ll be a lot happier if you learn to work with the elements. Winter is beautiful – embrace it!
    CHECK OUT 50 CAMP FIRES in CAMPING TIPS

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTTip67uYvXy_oYPYMI9Icy6YHN4DdWl-WtYxJ-i82l8n7dJKke.jpg

2. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

I'll add to that list:
    • No dust
    • You don't stink
    • Your friends don't stink
    • No need to make ice runs
    • When actually snowing, you can hear the flakes hitting the tree branches
    • With snow on the ground and a full moon, you can hike (some places) at night without a light
    • Big fires!

3. Northern Dancer

Ya...your are right on. Sometimes it's so cold you can hear the silence glistening in your hears .

4. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Describing the different kinds of silence is one of the hardest things to do because most people think silence just means silence but in reality there is always some kind of noise in the background that you hear when there is nothing else around... We aren't in outer space.

5. Northern Dancer

Isn't that true. I never did understand the question, "If a tree falls in the forest...can it be heard?"

6. campforums

7. Northern Dancer

...and then again, does it have to be a nobody or a something? :facepalm:

8. campforums

I'm not sure, I think the idea is that the mere perception of the world in fact changes it.

To be honest a lot of philosophy comes across as mumbo jumbo to me but then you look at science and there is some really weird stuff that defies common sense also.

9. Northern Dancer

This true. I took philosophy. The hardest thing for me to do was to learn the terms and methodology and to wrap my head around how it is expressed. It's a course for the brainy and though an excellent student I was never an academic. :(

10. campforums

I did as well, although not at a very high level but I needed some liberal art credits in order to complete my degree. I think I had a similar impression to what you did and that philosophy to me seemed to be all about semantics. Too much about finding the failings of our language to express certain concepts which have no real consequence. It wasn't my favorite but I can't say that I hated it either, probably because I sorta like to argue haha.

11. Northern Dancer

...but a philosopher would argue that no real consequence might not be a correct thought. :)

12. campforums

Probably.

What I meant by that is that I remember quite a few times where I'd be sitting in the class and the professor would spend some time building up to making a point after which I would say "okay, so what?". That was a philosophy of religion course though, maybe that has some effect on the subject matter.

13. Northern Dancer

....just joking with you Eric.

14. campforums

Of course, everything is in good fun here.

15. Northern Dancer

Ditto. :bear: Not that my opinion counts when it comes to humans but I agree too.

16. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

If a tree falls in the forest and there is no one around to hear it does it make a sound? Simply put yes. I often think of that verse and imagine in my head the reason the tree is falling. Did the roots tear from the earth due to heavy rainfall or was it a passing wind storm? Maybe it was old and hollow. Whatever the reason it falls heavily and swiftly landing with a muffled crash in the undergrowth. And I heard it, did you?

Often I ask people do you hear the trees talking among themselves in the dead of winter? The scraping of the bare branches with few leaves left to dance in the wind. The whispering of pines on quiet sweet mornings or at the edge of darkness. The voices can be heard by those that hear natures sounds. Can you hear it now? Close your eyes and listen. Can you hear those lonesome whispered sighs? I can hear it now. :cool:

17. campforums

But where is that tree you imagine in your head? And what of the trees you did not imagine falling but are not there in the morning?

This is one of the sounds I described as "silence", it is very peaceful to sit and listen to.

18. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

But where is that tree you imagine in your head? And what of the trees you did not imagine falling but are not there in the morning?

The tree I imagine in my head is but a memory. And the trees I did not imagine falling but are gone in the morning, where did they go? Well, Scotty beamed them up of course. so they sit at the far reaches of the universe on some remote planet providing firewood for some babbling camping aliens.

upload_2014-12-24_9-46-2.jpeg

happyflowerlady likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted