1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Riverside camping

Discussion in 'On the Water' started by Alexandoy, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

There is a place where we used to go camping by the river bank. It was a fun camping because it’s just like an overnight picnic. We can swim in the river with waist-deep clear and cool water. The river has lots of treasure like small clams (not sure how it is called) that can add to our meals. There are also some fruit trees and some edibles like vines with leaves like vegetables. My favorite is the fern that is best eaten in soupy dishes. At night, a campfire is very relaxing and upon bedtime, you will be lulled to sleep by the sound of the flowing water on the rocky side of the river. It is one safe campsite because there are residents nearby, within a kilometer radius. Sometimes they sell their farm produce to us and there are times some residents give us samples of what they have in their farm.

2. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

That sounds like it is a really great place to camp, @Alexandoy , and that there is even edible fruit trees and other items makes it even better. I have heard of eating the fiddlehead ferns, and you eat the tips when they are still rolled up and small, and then they are tender enough to eat. We had those out in Idaho, and I remember nibbling on the tip, and it reminded me just a little of asparagus. It might be even better when it was cooked.
    The main thing that we did with the fiddlehead ferns was use them for mosquito bites. I don't know what is in the ferns, but if you take the little rolled up heads and crush them on your skin where you have mosquito bites, it takes away all of the itching almost immediately. You can only do it with the tiny rolled part of the fern because that is where it is juicy, and will shred easily.
    It might work with the larger part of the fern; but I think that a person would have to use a rock to crush it enough to get any juice out to put on the mosquito bites. This doesn't discourage the mosquito from attacking you, but it is great to stop the itch from the bite.

Alexandoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted