1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

RV Pest Control

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by TheAspertarian, Sep 21, 2015.

1. I am a full timer and while pests may be just a normal thing to some RVers, they are NOT normal in MY home!

I am interested in hearing what others do regarding controlling pests in their RVs or other camping structures - and whether you are full timers or not. This article on RV pest control talks about DIY pest control but I would like to know what others are doing.

http://www.mobilerving.com/blog/rv-pest-control-diy-pest-control

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Hey there, welcome to Camping Babble

What kind of pests are you encountering? I have never gone RVing and I do not like to use more than simple bug spray around the tent but at home when sometimes have an issue with ants and we use simple poison ant bait or whatever the proper name is. The ants come up (I guess they like the scent) and retrieve it and bring it back down and next thing you know there are no more of them.

3. My husband has been in pest control for years so we don't have much of a problem. I had heard that cinnamon is a great repellent for ants. Have you ever used it?
    I had ants in here one time and I went full on ninja on them. They never came back.
    I get the occasional uninvited guest but I keep my place very clean and clutter free so they don't have anywhere to go.

4. actadh

actadh Pathfinder

I put some Osage Orange balls in my travel trailer. This is the time of year to gather them.

Osage_orange_1.jpg

5. That's cool. They work well? Where do you find them?

6. actadh

actadh Pathfinder

Our campus has a hiking trail which, sadly, few seem to use. I like to walk it when the weather has turned cool. I got a chance to take a quick hike last week and passed an tree that had two on the ground and took them home with me. To be honest, I thought they were paw paws, which also bloom around this year. I liked that cool brain-like shape and used Google to figure out what they were. I was tickled to find that they are supposed to have a use in insect protection. (Paw paws look totally different, btw.)

According to web sites, they are originally from a rather small area of Texas/Oklahoma/Arkansas, and the Osage Indians used them. They were introduced into most of the country in the 1800's. The trees can be trained to be a living fence. The fruit (from the female tree) can be used for insect protection and folklore says for cancer, too.

No bugs in the TT since introducing the Osage Oranges, but didn't have any before. This is a new TT and I want to keep it bug free. The previous one would get lady bugs inside, and had a wasp nest in the bathroom air vent when we traded it in. I have also sprinkled cinnamon inside pantry of the new TT, too, for ant protection.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
    campforums likes this.
  7. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Yeah it is a nice alternative to all the chemicals in most bug repellants

8. Onatah

Onatah Novice Camper

I've heard great things about the osage oranges. I wish I could get some here in Michigan. I just got some peppermint oil since that seems to be a natural repellent for spiders, which we have a big issue with here. I have wild catnip for gathering to repel mosquitoes.

If you get the rodent type of pests, the best natural kill is setting out dishes of pepsi/coke. They are attracted to the sweetness and will drink it. Trouble for them is that they can not burp so it kills them. No, it doesn't sound nice but neither are sticky traps or poisons but this is cleaner and safer for children and most pets. I say most because some pets like other rodents; hamsters, gerbils, etc. will also succumb in the same way as will rabbits (who are not rodents, btw).

9. ashley0323

ashley0323 Novice Camper

I would say, if you are not currently using the camper, I would set up mouse traps, or poison blocks. Jars of honey and dawn soap in jars, it will attract flies and gnats. It will at least help some. If the problem is bad, use a bomb treatment, then air it out afterwards.

Draft saved Draft deleted