1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Safety and Camping

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by Northern Dancer, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRk6tzH-ywdwdamxFHmBLUyBNLNVpH7Xqpn8OVyehIB7PtT9o1NUQ.jpg
    I've always been appalled at the lack of concrete, thought out, and practiced safety among my colleagues. I may come across as some form of a twit to some but I've sure seen a lot of stuff that curls my hair. Food handling would be one at the top of my list. Ax and fire making skills would be another issue that bothers me. If you take count of the numerous forest fires these last few months you can appreciate what I'm talking about.

As corny as it sounds here are the chief areas that one must have some safety knowledge and/or skill especially when you are miles away from any assistance.

PERSONAL SAFETY
    Animals, weather conditions, matters of terrain, food and water consumption,
    and hygiene.

RELATIONSHIPS
    With others you are camping with, environment, and strangers.

EQUIPMENT
    Proper use, storage, management and repair.
    You may have some other ideas but if you are in a wilderness situation the above will be more than helpful.

Here is an example of a safety rule or routine I follow when I'm in a tent and hear something unusual in the night that needs to be addressed. ONE - turn on a light, TWO - put my glasses on, THREE - place my headlight on, FOUR - get dressed [knowing where I have put my clothes and boots], FIVE - get my screamer whistle and staff. AND to do this without thinking about it or trying to remember where I placed things.

GOT ANY SUGGESTIONS OR TIPS THAT YOU HAVE LEARNED OR EXPERIENCES THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO SHARE?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRvTftp1uZmie2ulIJlsSWXZSD09YOTQdIbHvSGT6Dl7HStW4sz.png

2. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

With the mention of safety, my primary concern is the condition of the campsite regarding rebels or criminals. I had been to a campsite where rebels frequented the place. We were protected by a resident who knew the rebels so there was no problem. But what if the government soldiers come and an encounter occurs? Campsites with natural problems don't intimidate me so much. I'm afraid of people particularly strangers.

3. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

@Alesandoy your comments are completely foreign to me and my experience. Rebels or Criminals? I don't know exactly where you live or camp but I'd be moving on. The only masked creature ever to come into my camp environment was a masked raccoon. But not to be totally smug - humans are probably the most dangerous creatures that roam the earth.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcROFbrRm62r2DesfG6osQlKTEv4MJPLK-HEM9PLMRZ6w8XSi5m3ag.jpg

certs17 likes this.
  4. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I have had my vehicle vandalized once when I left at a boat launch area. That is the only issue I had when camping. I am glad that I live in an area where I don't have to fear for my safety because of political or other factions of a rebellious nature (I hope I stated that correctly). There are drug problems in this rural area, either manufacturing or people looking to steal to purchase drugs, this I try to be careful of.

Draft saved Draft deleted