1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Sailing

Discussion in 'On the Water' started by Mr. Blue, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Mr. Blue

Mr. Blue Newbie

Sailing is more of a planned even and usually doesn't go with full camping trips unless you're at a resort. When I think of sailing I see a wide open lake with a nice view; just kicking back and letting the breeze flow through your sail. It's really a relaxing experience.

Do any of you have a lake near by? Do you have a sailboat, or do you go with a group?

2. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

I've heard of folks that camp on their sailboat. Maybe they have a small outboard motor to push it when there is no wind or in areas where there is foliage to get in the way. In S. Florida people also camp in motor boats. The modern small cruiser can hold four people and you can add a "tent" over the back to get more room.

You can get a boat big enough to add a bathroom for those who prefer more modern facilities than "the woods."

3. Jessi

Jessi Novice Camper

I don't really think of it as in connection with camping either. I see it as a day on the lake and then we go home or to a hotel later. I could see it being connected if you're staying at a resort or just near a place you can rent sailboats even.

4. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

Yes, overall, renting boats is not a bad investment in fun. There used to be a national boat club where you paid a set rate to join then could rent boats all over at a reduced rate and got other benefits like insurance and Internet scheduling. I have not seen them around for a few years so maybe the down economy killed off the idea.

I really wished I had the cash to buy a small boat during the last few years. Boats were going fast and cheap in SE Florida when the housing market collapsed.

5. NatureLover

NatureLover Newbie

I live in Northeastern Florida and boats are still going pretty cheap up here. I've heard the south has been recovering faster than we have, and with the NASA layoffs over the last couple years there have been many boats on the market in this area. We got my dad a boat about three years ago. However, I wish we had just rented it, because of all the maintenance that we've had to invest in it. Recently I've even heard of a boating rental program that acts like a time share. You pay a flat rate that covered the upkeep, maintenance and storage of the boat and then schedule the time that you would like to use it, and from what I heard the cost was extremely reasonable. You may want to look into or even start a similar program in your area.

6. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

I've gone sailing with a group of friends ,but it was out on the ocean. Sail boats can be fun ,but they are working when using the wind. We get together and rent a boat and split op the cost which is better because we only go out there once a year.

7. Libragirl67

Libragirl67 Newbie

We live in Norther Michigan. So being on or in the water in the summer is an everday thing. We do not own a sailboat. But we have friends who have one. They are very relaxing. And I enjoy being on it. My boys however prefer the speed boat, and tubing. But they are teenagers so go figure. For all day fun pontoons are more fun for me then being on a sailboat all day. And when you are on a sailboat you are a slave to the wind. So it can be fun unless the winds decide to be fickle.

Draft saved Draft deleted