1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Saving the Tent Floor

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Northern Dancer, May 18, 2017.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

It has been my practice to cover my tent floors.

Though most of the larger base camp, out camp, prospectors camp tents often have an option to purchase a floor protector I've opted to use rugs. There are comfy and warm to the bare feet in the morning and tend to keep the dampness out. They often give the ambiance that I like.

However, it they get wet for any reason they are really hard to dry - even the light thickness of the one's that I normally use.

So today I purchased a new light weight rug that is easily washed and dried if required. It's a 6 by 9 which gives me good coverage. It's made of a durable polypropylene, is reversible and fade resistant. It can be use inside or out and often used for RVs.

No - I will not be giving up my cowhide and other assortments - I'll just use both. :)

IMG_0475.jpg

2. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

Hello ND,
    We are not as fancy as you are when it comes to tent floor protection. We purchased a fifty foot by ten foot roll of rubber. It's about, jeez I don't really remember, I think it's about 45 mil. Used in landscaping and pond liners. It's heavy so we only use it for car camping, but you don't have to panic if you don't find every rock or stick. Then we put foam floor mats that we cut to size for the inside of the tent. (The mats have that puzzle interlocking connections to keep them from moving around.) Not fancy like yours but it does keep the floor from being punctured and gives good knee protection when your in it. (We have four season expedition tent, so there is no standing up inside.)

3. Northern Dancer

@Bibsoutdoors that's a good idea too. I'm a bit more lazy - I just want to roll it out. :)

As you know all my base camp tents are walk ins while the canoe trip tents are crawl ins. Though, as you know, I purchased a new Out Back Lodge this year for canoeing.

I do use a foot (ground cover) that I place my tent on to keep it clean and protect it from rocks and twigs I may have missed.

I plan to show all this stuff soon as I plan to video and take pictures of the first trip. At this late date I'm still planning program though I do intend to do a lot of catch up reading.

When you use a hammock you can avoid some of this stuff. But...I like what I do and it is all part of the fun.

Bibsoutdoors likes this.
  4. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

Very much looking forward to the pictures and videos are truly my favorite.

5. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Yes I am looking forward to pics and videos.

6. Northern Dancer

-----> I'm really, really hoping that I'm able to picture a moose. This is the time of the year they come closer to human habitation and lumber along pathways and trails. I'm planning to get up 5:00 a.m. and get on the trails by 5:30 several days and head out to see what I can fine.

7. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

Sounds a little too much like heaven!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

8. Northern Dancer

...for me it sort of is. :angelic: I've camped and canoed in this district for years and when I arrive it's like coming home. You read about Mowat, Mason and the likes of Grey Owl [the Canadian Indian that wasn't] and you hear their sentiments ringing in your ears.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSL7Aw2tI5EUgANyqLrom1oWkRHV_7avztNQxWoRxLRdmCuCKD3.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBcC5p5eZJxYUT0dq0hY-rl-_Dk1uoVjP9A6LrKkDjVIAILtsr.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRC3ut5oV1Mo4sArCG4s6nyO3LSDvpLDY-pLko3L7e0HzTTBQ82.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRp4NWbeiJMz9H2haF_X0qexo9RiIRSreXuNU-4WuqPnT_9_obm.jpg

An incredibly fascinating man and personality; a story of intrigue that still captivates the imagination of those who would go native.

9. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I couldn't agree more.

Bibsoutdoors likes this.
  10. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

This reminds me of one overnight camping trip when my wife and I stayed in a tent together with one of our dogs. We were huddled together, nice and easy until the rains came unexpectedly. In a few minutes, we felt the rain water seeping on the floor of the tent. And when the sleeping bag started to get wet, the only choice was to run for the car which is a good half kilometer away. Not to mention that it was a spoiled night, I made sure that the succeeding camping trips would not happen that way again. The floor of the tent should be loade with something to make it elevated from the ground. My initial solution is the plastic matting just like the pallet in the warehouse. It was pretty good but quite bulky and hard to carry. What can you suggest for an improvisation for the tent flooring?

11. Northern Dancer

There are several suggestions depending on your circumstance.

FIRST - I think you need to get a better tent, one with up-to-date materials that are waterproof.
    Watch where you place the tent and check the earth for discolouration and check for dampness indicating water saturation. The better tents have what are called bathtub floors - specially treated and factory sealed to prevent leakage.

Water usually rolls down so if you have pitched a tent on an incline even a small one you could get water coming your way.

Most of us use a foot or a ground cover to protect against small sticks and stones; you can tuck the foot/ground cover to keep water from going under your tent floor.

In some of our parks you can find platforms - or elevated straight tent pads that are above the ground.

upload_2017-7-10_21-33-44.jpeg upload_2017-7-10_21-34-26.jpeg upload_2017-7-10_21-34-55.jpeg

...but having the right kind of tent is your best bet.

This was in front of my tent on a recent trip. Because of good planning and good equipment I didn't experience an water problems.

IMG_1106.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted