1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Scared of Huge Waves

Discussion in 'On the Water' started by MrX, Dec 12, 2012.

1. MrX

MrX Newbie

Im damn scared of huge waves...I remeber when my friends and I had taken a trip to the old Light House we have here...we had taken a small sailing boat to go there...going was not a problem as the sea was calm but then during the night when we stayed over it was damn scary...huge waves were dashing the walls of the light house as we were so scared we taught those walls would break..the next day early morning we sat in our sailing boat which was filled with water which we had to empty it and then reached home..we never think of going there again..:D

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

haha, sounds like some fun times. I've never come across a light house that is secluded enough to be abandoned but sturdy enough that I wouldn't mind staying in it. I'd love to do that sometime. Where about was this lighthouse?

3. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

Wow, I can picture that from your story. Sounds like you need to do when someone falls off a horse. Get right back on! Maybe do some sailing again and work your way up to an overnight stay somewhere.

Oh, and practice swimming!

4. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Totally understandable - walls of water that weigh tons and are moving fast are nothing to play with. I can remember being in a ship and having that ship tossed about like a toy because we got caught in a serious storm. I'm pretty sure I bawled like an infant, but I still did better than my buddy - he should have brought his brown pants.

5. Norrwen

Norrwen Newbie

Wow, that sounds cool but the waves part sounds very scary. I would hate to be in a place like that while being close to getting washed away by waves.

6. TABL

TABL Explorer

I totally understand! Waves can be scary. They are damn strong! I agree, you need to face your fears again.

7. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

When I was young I used to body surf or use a belly board and several times I got slammed into the beach by a big wave. At least there were no rocks were I surfed so I just had to relax and roll with it.

Very easy to panic though and that is what usually is the most dangerous part of such things.

8. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

How sore were you? I can't imagine you felt like doing much of anything after a few rounds of that.

9. stiflex

stiflex Newbie

Personaly, I love huge weaves, when our family went to the sea - when we were kids. I loved to go like, 5 meters into the sea and jump over the weaves, the sea ground wasn't very deep actually, less than half of me.

10. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

Yes, well the trick is to not fight it and bounce around until the wave recedes. Holding on to you belly board can be another way of getting hurt as it is hard, has a short point on the front and is leverage for the wave to twist you around. I had a flexible cord attached to the board and then around my ankle so I could just let it go and never loose it. I was also wearing a mask and fins. I lost fins but had extra sets or singles to use. I even found single fins a couple of times that were my size!

I would not surf when there was undertow or rip currents, that is just plain crazy.

11. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

I've been caught once or twice in a rip and nearly drowned in an undertow. Of course that taught me exactly nothing, then again I used to swim in rivers... If nothing else that sort of thing will either scare you away from water or drain off all fear of being drowned like a kitten by unseen currents and the like.

12. GSBryce

GSBryce Newbie

Eeek! I am too! I honestly am scared of open water all together. You never know what's lurking down below, or how deep the water is... ahhh too many things to name! I have an awful fear of frowning too. I think that would be a horrible way to go. Be safe out there!

13. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

So what? Lakes, bays, oceans, seas, inlays? I can understand your issues with it. You never know what lies beneath. I got pass the drowning thing though - and it only took a couple of times nearly drowning.

14. Foster

Foster Newbie

I hate the taste of waves.

15. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Newbie

I can't swim so all water is kind of scary and dangerous to me. If I was wading around in the shallow ocean close to the shore and a big wave hit me, I would be totally screwed and have no way to save myself. I find pools less scary because I can walk around in the shallow end or float around in an inner tube. I definitely have to learn how to swim, not only because it's a safety issue but because I feel like I'm missing out on something fun and normal that millions of people do.

16. charity

charity Newbie

I like the waves. When we go to Florida on the Atlantic side we always go body boarding, it is so fun. I am however, nervous when my children are just standing in the waves and get knocked down. I am always afraid they are going to get swept out. So usually they can't go in water unless myself or my husband is with them. But I think for the most part the waves are great.

17. Libragirl67

Libragirl67 Newbie

Sounds like a scary experience. I will not go out in the water at night. Just seems more dangerous to me. But during the day the big waves are a blast. My kids and I love to body surf. So we are always hoping for the bigger waves. I have to admit I have never been in a boat when the waves are very high. I do not think I would like the big waves at that point.

18. Angelle

Angelle Newbie

Wow, that sounds scary. I would have been scared as well, and my initial feeling would be to never go back there again but later on I would go back. I think that you should definitely go back, and experience that again. The weather was pretty bad that day but it won't be like that all the time. Who knows maybe next time your experience would be better, and you'll have the time of your life. Don't give on it just yet. :)

19. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

reply: The weather on the ocean can change rather quickly on you. You have to be prepared for those changes. Getting the boat onto shore and taking shelter in the lighthouse was a smart move.

20. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I have always been scared to be out on the water when big waves rolled toward our boat from much bigger boats. I worried the wall of water will sink the boat by filling it full of water. And in Florida, might get eaten by a alligator. lol
    However I love sitting on the beaches watching the waves roll in and watching other people surf the waves.

Draft saved Draft deleted