1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Scared of Huge Waves

Discussion in 'On the Water' started by MrX, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Well 2sweed if it makes you feel better - crocodiles like salt water, but alligators are fresh water. Of course, if you're in Florida what you need to worry about are Bullsharks and pythons.

2. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I am not in Florida, any longer. I swam in the rivers and lakes down there and had alligators swim by me without bothering me, but it was an uncomfortable feeling. I agree you need to watch out for sharks and jellyfish, more than pythons. The jellyfish come in with the tide and are mostly under the water but some lay on the beaches in the wave action. Step on one of those baby's and your in a world of hurt.

I was talking about big waves on the rivers that are produced by tug boats and barges, and mostly big cabin cruisers owned by rich folks who go way to fast on the rivers. Some will slow down if they see a smaller boat out on the water, but most of them blast right through sending out strong four to five foot high waves. If you ride it out by facing into the wave the boat generally manages quite well. But if it hits the side of your boat it could flip a small boat or fill it with water. That is what was scary about big waves in the river.

I have been told that out in the ocean the wave crests can be high above you, as your boat rides a wave down below. That would really scare me. I prefer to keep my feet on solid ground or swim in shallow rivers or lakes.

3. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

As a biologist with a conservationist tint I have to think about things like invasive species (pythons and such) so that's why I mentioned them. It doesn't help that they're population is growing at a simply absurd rate right now. That said I've never really had the problem of dealing with large waves in a river. I have dealt with large waves on lakes, inlets, and the open sea/ocean. Part of that is simply from surfing and some of that is from taking a relatively small boat out. I guess I'm just really cavalier about it since I swim well and I'm not afraid to die particularly if I'm doing something I rather enjoy.

4. bigteeth96

bigteeth96 Newbie

I remember being toppled by a wave. It was scary because I wasn't expected for it. Luckily it brought me back to the shallow water of the shore, literally. Just hang on and don't open your mouth when submerged.

5. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Esperahol,
    Interesting to learn that you are a biologist. I have a good friend in Canada, who works in that field. I have always been interested in the study of plants and animals, but have a hard time learning all those Latin names. lol Having had pythons as pets years ago I know of the danger in having them out roaming the Everglades, as well as, many of the cities in South Fl. They like dogs and kids, but consider most anything as food. I have seen plenty of pictures of the big ones that have been found living under people's houses. Not something I would want in my backyard.
    Just read the news and it seems some teens found 2 alligators in the waters of Pennsylvania. One was a 5 foot and the other a 3 foot. Game Dept., thinks they were some buddies pet that got to big to care for so they set them free.

6. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

That is usually the problem - people think these things look or sound cool to have, but when it comes down to actually caring for these (sometimes) very large creatures they find it easier to just dump them somewhere. People never really think before making these impulsive purchases.

7. bigteeth96

bigteeth96 Newbie

Waves scare me too. This is a beach trip story, not a camping one.... I was in the ocean and a large wave is approaching. It takes me a while to register it and then I say, "uh oh!" I try to get back to shore, but it is too late. The large wave topples over me and I go underwater for what it seemed like a few seconds. Before I knew it, I was scraped across the shallow shoreline. Ouch! I don't go too deep now.

8. Jason

Jason Newbie

I am scared of water itself, so i don't prefer going in ships, boats or stand in the sea water. As i fear that i may drown in it.

9. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

But Kick you're too awesome not to go. Seriously though you have to face this like Finn. Confront your gut terrors and conquer them or something. Seriously though water is dangerous, but it is also kind and fun and full of things to eat. And there are swimming classes and flash floods so yes.

Draft saved Draft deleted