1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Scary campsite

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by Alexandoy, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

When I was assistant scout master of community scouts, we went on an overnight camping trip in the mountains of Antipolo (surprisingly, it is now a city huh). At dusk, I started pitching the huge tent that will serve as shelter for all of us, we were more than 20 with scout’s age range from 13 to 16. I was hearing the conversation of the scouts that the place is eerie and for sure there may be scary characters. I didn’t mind them until darkness set in and I supervised the cooking. There was a commotion about 50 feet away. When I investigated, some scouts were crying because they claimed to have seen a kapre. Well, a kapre is a character in our folklore, a huge black man with a cigar.

That incident scared all the scouts except Mario, our scoutmaster, and of course, me. After dinner, the games we prepared were not played anymore because all the scouts wanted was to be in the tent and huddle with each other. That’s one camping adventure that I wouldn’t forget.

2. ptahm22

ptahm22 Novice Camper

When I was in high school we went for camping in a nearby forest. We were eleven boys and ten girls. There were rumours that the forest was haunted but none of us believed in such stuff. However, two guys and I took advantage of this and decided to give our fellow campers an experience of their life. We wore masks and came back to the camping site making ghosty and weird sounds. This really scared them but it also ended badly for us. One guy stabbed me thinking that I was a real ghost. The three of us ended up in a juvenile jail for three months. It wasn't really a scary camping site but it definitely had a scary ending.

3. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

@ptahm22, WOW, that is a scary story. How differently that could have ended. I have to ask, why did the the of you have to spend time in a juvenile jail? What crime did you commit? Sending you to a juvenile detention center sounds like scary judgement on someone else's part!

Bibsoutdoors

4. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...I was a Programme Director for a Y camp and I was introducing the new staff to the traditions of the camp. That tradition included the story of the Old Man of Senior Camp".

One evening the group were invited to go under the Mohawk cabin at the back where it jutted out over a small ravine. We gathered around a cement slab that was the the grave of the old man. I reverently placed a single candle on it. Then in quiet and sacred manner of voice I began to tell the story. As I was coming to the highlight of the legend walking across on the other side of the ravine was the old man. He had his gas lantern swinging back and forth from the pick axe over his shoulder. One of the guys [ya, I said guy] saw him and screamed - startling me in the process! I leaped up like a frightened rabbit from my crouching position and managed to scrape my forehead on two protruding nails on the upper beam. At that instant blood was everywhere and rushing down my face.

I have never seen a group of guys between 16 and 20 vacate a place so fast leaving me to patch myself up.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeead2wvV-Cfdh9edeQfi_NsGuR4yN2k2o8imVU5oSgqbsDtZ6.jpg
    He's probably still out there roaming the country side looking for whatever.

killeroy154 likes this.
  5. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

ND, your story made me laugh out loud! My wife asked me what was so funny, so I had to read it to her. We are both laughing! I picture the scene and begin to laugh again! Sorry, I don't mean anything disrespectful but the picture in my head is funny.

Bibsoutdoors

Draft saved Draft deleted