1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Sea Cucumber

Discussion in 'Food' started by JoshPosh, Nov 5, 2014.

1. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

For the record I have never eaten this before. I don't ever recall anyone in my family ever eating one of these. We usually avoid it and move on to something else. Now I've been watching TV a lot and there are people that have been eating it.

Would you eat one of these bad boys?

seacucumber.jpg

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Where do these fat slugs usually show up? I can't say that I see the resemblance between the picture and a cucumber but either way I think I would agree with you and your family and not eat one. Where did you see people eating it? On something like the food network/cooking channel?

3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

There are reality shows where they have expert survivalist eating these things. You can see people eating it on youtube also. I mean, if I had to, I'll eat one. But that would be my last resort.

4. campforums

Well to be honest, I have never really been a big fan of seafood in general (even the good stuff)

5. JessiFox

JessiFox Novice Camper

I've been curious about this too- from seeing things on TV and online and such about people eating it and different ways to prepare it. I love seafood and I'm open for trying the vast majority of things at least once, but all the same if I'm being honest this little guy just doesn't seem that tempting to me. I can't know for sure, but just thinking about it and imagining how it might taste is unappealing to me...who knows though? Maybe with the right preparation it could be tasty.

6. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

I would imagine you would have to deep fry it. Make it crispy. By the looks of things it's consistency is going to rubbery. So deep frying it til it gets crispy could be the trick to making it edible.

7. campforums

Well you're right that pretty much anything that has been deep fried tastes good and I'm no chef but I don't think deep frying it would affect the consistency that much. I'm no chef but usually it just adds a crispy outer layer, like for example with onion rings or donuts.

Draft saved Draft deleted