1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Setting up a protective tarp

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by campforums, Mar 8, 2013.

1. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I thought I would share this high quality video on how to setup a tarp, the man in the video goes over which knots to tie and how to optimally position the tarp for the best effect.

2. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Thank you for sharing this very informative video on tieing knots for holding tarps. I have been looking into buying a new tent this summer and it seems that so many of them can not take the heavy rain events. Those that leave reviews talk about waking up in the morning after a storm with wet gear and sleeping bags. However, one video I watched suggested putting a extra tarp up over the tent to help keep it dry and prevent it from being soaked in a downpour. If I used the knots taught in this video, I would be certain of waking up in the morning warm and dry. This man shows the knots and how to tie them in a manner easy to see and follow. Thanks! :)

3. campforums

No problem, I'm glad you found it useful. An extra tarp can definitely help protect your tent, just make sure that if you have one of the tarps which has holes along the edges with metal rings that you do not use those. It is better to just bunch together the tarp at the corners and tie the rope tightly around it. Otherwise the tarp might rip at through the holes and come down when there is a high wind.

4. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

As I do my shopping from time to time at the dollar store I found a great size tarp for emergency shelters for only one dollar. I also found bungee cords there for one dollar that can assist with keeping it tied down as well. I keep one in my pack for emergencies only because they have so many other uses for them.

5. campforums

That's pretty cheap, how do you find the quality? I ask because I remember dropping several times that amount on similar items at outdoors stores. I can't see how they could have a quality bungee cord or tarp that wouldn't snap under stress for that price.

6. Kementarri

Kementarri Newbie

Thank you for the wonderful video! I always make sure that I have a good tarp with me when I go camping as I like to put it underneath the area that my tent is on to keep away the morning dew; hate waking up to the wet soaking through the bottom of the tent. It is also a wise idea to set up a tarp over your tent in such a way that water can drain from it (and not onto the tent) if you suspect that it is going to rain/storm. I even do this when I am camping with a "water proof" tent, it's always better to be dry then take the chance of getting drenched.

7. Anons123

Anons123 Newbie

I know what that's like I was a boyscout. We would have fun times building kites and toeing knots a it was a good time.

Draft saved Draft deleted