1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Setting up base camp...

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by Northern Dancer, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

As I was telling 2sweed I'm already panting for summer adventure. So, as I leaned back in my computer chair I thought for a moment how did I do that - I mean set up base camp.

I remember it well...

First of all I've done my home work and know where I am going. The more advanced parks have a site map that gives you some idea of the terrain you are going to be inhabiting for whatever time you have set aside. They often show pictures and give you a description including the size of the space. I like a lot of space and will give up luxury to go into a more primitive site.

First thing I do when I arrive? I use my handy dandy fold up rake and clear any and all debris from the site. Clean out the fire place, check for dead wood and overhanging branches. Take note of the wind and the best view of the water. Cut down lines left, and pick up the beer bottle caps if need be.

When all that is done the next priority is my home tent. Set up correctly, with all the appointments that I've organized. Cot, chair, table, lamps, Reese's bed, pole lights, whatever.

Then it is on to the kitchen shelter and set that up correctly. The table is washed down with bleach and covered before setting up the stove and utensils. The kitchen area plan includes grey water disposal. I use a drinking water filter system so it has to be filled with water and hung up.

The next thing is the wash stand and/or toilet if need be. Even if there is an outhouse I still set the wash stand shelter up. I prefer to wash in the dry and not the rain and a like a tad of privacy. If there is an out house it is bleached down too, some ornaments are hung there to make it homey.

What's next? Hammock, clothes line, lanterns, decorations, raise the flag etc. Get the canoe to the shoreline.

Last is the fireplace. Finger wood, hand wood, and knee wood sheltered. All in time for the first campfire.

Well I think that's it. Man....I can see it all now. How about you? Can you see your camp site set up?

dvfz2w.jpg

Base Camp - Home Tent and Kitchen Shelter

qnoad1.jpg

Wash Stand Sink made during the winter

2a8lpp5.jpg

Entrance Totem with clock and thermometer - I have several different kinds

280mhpd.jpg

Lanterns

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    2sweed likes this.
  2. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I really like your homemade wash stand sink. You did a good job making it complete, even with a bear paw print. I can imagine what I would like my base camp to look like and where I would love to set one up. But for now it is just daydreaming. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. :)

3. Northern Dancer

Dreaming is often the pathway to reality.....so keep dreaming.

4. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Question? Are you able to set up your base camp tent and all my yourself or does Reese do all the work? That big tent looks like it could take two to handle the job.
    How long does it take you to get the whole base camp set up and in order? by the way I like your style. :thumbsup::happy:

5. Northern Dancer

...there are some determining factors; mood, weather conditions etc.

The reality is all the equipment that I have can be put up by one person. So how long does it really take?

My Alaknak tent complete (weather favourable of course) - two hours.
    My Kitchen shelter - about one hour.
    The wash stand - about 40 minutes.

It's about 3 to 4 hours. Keep in mind I'm out for prolonged periods of time so four hours is really nothing.
    Set up includes the hammock, fire place, lantern placing, flag up, totem in place.

And Reese - he is the best supervisor/manager that I have ever worked for. He never yaps.

And then there are some times I just put up the Alaknak and complete the rest the next day.

When we are in the interior it takes about an hour to get my camp site organized the way I want it.

campforums likes this.
  6. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Much less work than I expected, especially with just one person working but then again I also imagine that you have done it so many times it is almost second nature to you. Do you think you could set it up with your eyes closed? :cool:

Also I really like those lanterns, they have a nice rustic appeal to them.

7. Northern Dancer

Thanks. When I arrive at my destination it's, "Stand back everyone I gotta get this done!" There are other times that I put up the Alaknak and leave the rest until later. Funny, when I break camp it's usually the day/evening before with whatever I have left to do in the morning.

I like the blue lanterns too - they are a bit above the regular lanterns that I have seen on the shelf - for one thing the fuel cap actually goes on without a hassle.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  8. campforums

Haha, true! Some days one is definitely more motivated than others but since you have a dedicated sleeping tent I guess that is okay as long as you don't need to do any major cooking in your "Mess Tent" until the next day.

What type of fuel do they run on? I like how it looks like you can just pour it in through that hole and you don't need to have pressurized tanks.

9. Northern Dancer

I use the citronella fuel because it is cheaper and smells better than kerosene. I can fuel the lantern so that it burns the time I want it to. I leave a lantern on during the night that will burn to 6:00 A.M. and then go out. Part of the daily routine is to fill the lanterns.

10. campforums

Interesting, it is like you can have a measuring cup with lines marking different durations of time :) Do you buy it in those big tins of camp fuel that I've seen

large-COL5103A253C.jpg

11. Northern Dancer

upload_2015-1-17_20-45-57.jpeg I use something like this. In terms of the time it's trial and error.

12. campforums

Oh, I imagined you had something like this with the measurements crossed off and times written in haha :p

measuring_cup.png

13. Northern Dancer

Gnaw...you know that I'm not that sophisticated.

14. campforums

No way, I know nothing of the sort o_O

Draft saved Draft deleted