1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Sewing modifications

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by killeroy154, Apr 15, 2016.

1. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I purchased some hammocks straps, and when I got them it was winter time, and I didn't have time to check them out. To my dismay they had no loop sewed into opposite end of strap from ring, so I pull out the old (my wife's great grandmother's) 1917 Singer sewing machine. And voila. 33be1eecef57e31e86833ab31484e2e9.jpg . I remember the renowned Cliff Jacobson talking about making and modifying your own camping stuff. e9f08678a407708f855ded7596a84f0b.jpg . Yes my wife thinks it's funny too. Ha Ha

campforums and Northern Dancer like this.
  2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Nice, it looks just like it came out of the factory that way. Did you just use ordinary thread? Any idea how much weight it can support?

3. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I used a heavy polyester coat and jacket thread, i crossed and double stiched about 3 inches up from the loop I made. I had to increase the tension conciderably because of the thick material and heavy thread. I think when wrapped around tree or other object there is less pressure on that end of strap. Most of the weight is on factory sewn ting end which aye I should have restitched that. I am confident with my work, and besides if it does give way I'll never mention it....ha.

Oh hey while I have campforum master on here, I can't open any of these or other attachments all I get is this
    74c1adb77cb1fa355b94a09c4bafc90c.jpg

4. SashaS

SashaS Novice Camper

I also can't see any of the media that is posted on the forums.

I'm personally no fan of sewing as I have never tried it and I don't have a wife at my disposal but that does seem like a really neat and intuitive modification, well done.

5. campforums

Try now! I think it is fixed

6. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Yes thank you. Me happy now

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

campforums likes this.
  7. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

f2b525bead292f58357220c95c0ebe33.jpg Straps holding so far. Wow is it nice outside.

8. campforums

Looks nice, was the hammock purchased separately? It looks more comfortable the the rope ones.

9. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

The hammock was purchased separately. You can purchase hammock and straps together tho. What I like about the hammock is that when stuffed it is the size of a 4 pack of bagels. I have a single hammock which is about same length but narrower. This one is about 10 feet long and 6.5 feet wide, so I can sprawl out in it pretty good. I don't know much about the rope ones.

Draft saved Draft deleted