1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Shelter on the Fly!

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by Junkbots, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Junkbots

Junkbots Newbie

You're far from home and a storm's coming. Dark clouds swirl fervently and a cool drop of water shocks your warm skin. All you've got is a knife, muti-tool, and 30 feet of nylon rope. Soon you'll be in a torrential downpour and you need to find or make a dry place.

Location: North American coniferous forest - Michigan: haven for camping enthusiasts!
    Temperature: State average of 44 degrees fahrenheit.
    Time: Afternoon - it'll be dark in under two hours.

If you'd prefer a different scenario, go for it. I'd like to see how resourceful the users of Camp Forums are!

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

To be honest I don't think I would be able to make use of the knife and the multi-tool. The multi-tool is generally better suited for cutting or slicing smaller objects while for a shelter I want to get as much coverage as possible. I would gather as many large branches as I could find and stack them so that there is small area underneath that I could crawl under. Then I would cover my shelter with leaves and pine branches to keep out the wind, although I'm not sure how well it would keep out the rain. Also with high winds maybe I could use the rope to secure some branches from flying around!

3. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

1) Find two trees close together
    2) Find a small straight branch (preferably dead) longer than the space between the trees
    3) Lash the branch to the trees about 4 feet from the ground (have the cord wrap around the branch at about 3 inch loops)
    4) Clean out the ground between the tree and fill with something soft (leave/pine needles)
    5) Get some leafy branches and stick under the loops on the cross branch. Use long enough leafy branches so they flair out to the ground on either side giving you a sheltered spot between the trees.

This may be hard to do this fast if the rain is approaching. Better to have done it in advance if you knew you were going to stay at that spot or BRING A THIN TARP!

4. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I'll certainly remember that, I want to avoid these extreme shelter making methods if I can. (I have enough stress in my life)

5. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

Bring a couple of large garden sized trash bags. That's your shelter when you need it fast.

Draft saved Draft deleted