1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Should I buy a Sat phone?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Jonah Glover, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Jonah Glover

Jonah Glover Newbie

I'm thinking of purchasing a satellite phone for next summer when I go out camping. Does anybody have any experience with these, and if so would you recommend buying one?

2. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

I only used one as part of our local Emergency Management System and I do not remember the brand or service but we looked at it as the last resort since it had a spotty connection regularly.

Now, we my not have been using it the best way since there really was no training other than a sheet of paper and maybe it was an older system that could have used an update. I would check around. Maybe you can get some tips if you can find out who uses it in you area.

3. Foster

Foster Newbie

My dad used a Satellite Phone for his work. He used to be a Cop. I was sitting in the front seat one time and he used it. I said, "Dad, that is pretty big!" He said, "Ehhh, I get used to it." Lesson is: SAT PHONES ARE BIG!

4. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Hn, will you be lugging this about? If so - then I do not advise it unless you are going into TRUE WILDERNESS. Sat phones are heavy and awkward and worthless unless you are entering "I may very well die here" territory. I only had one once when I went on a trip to the Amazon with a class. We thankfully didn't end up using it, but it was a serious lifeline.

5. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

If I were you I would be weighing in the pros and cons of the satellite phone. A pro would be that you can rent these phones and not have to buy them for your camping trip. A con is if you are inside like in a cabin they won't work. You have to be outside and in the clear totally for them to work. I would recommend to just rent one than to buy one for your camping adventures.

6. Lita11

Lita11 Newbie

If coverage and quality of service in a handheld phone is what you are looking for GlobalCom's Iridium phone is unbeatable. Iridium is the "only" satellite phone offering total planetary coverage with its constellation made up of 66 satellites. In addition Iridium is offering a service guarantee offering 98% connectivity. The Iridium system provides true global communication coverage including oceans, and all land areas including the Poles. The Iridium system blankets the Earth, connecting global satellite coverage with local ground-based wireless services.

Draft saved Draft deleted