1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Should You Worry About The Zika Virus

Discussion in 'Nature' started by 2sweed, May 18, 2016.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

The Zika Virus is spread by the bite of an affected mosquito. The area of the country in which you live will determine how high of a risk you might be facing according to the World Health organization and Centers for Disease Control. This is measures by levels of risk as in:

Although a map from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention divides the continental U.S. into two zones, Scott says there are actually three zones, based on the risk of having local transmission of Zika this summer:

• Extremely low-risk zone: This is the northern half of the country, from northern New England across the north Midwest to the Pacific Northwest. These states don't have the main mosquito — Aedes aegypti — that can spread the virus. Pregnant women can relax in this zone.
    • High-risk zone: "What we're talking about, the really risky areas are Florida and the Gulf states into Texas," Scott says. These regions have high densities of A. aegypti mosquitoes. And they've had outbreaks of two viruses related to Zika: dengue and chikungunya.
    • Low-risk zone: This is the rest of the country, including the Southeast, the Mid-Atlantic states — all the way up to New York City and Long Island — and the Southwest
    • map 1.jpg Know the enemy. A. aegypti mosquitoes have white stripes on their legs and a marking in the shape of a lyre on their backs.

2. 2sweed

Scientists have already identified the yellow fever mosquito (Aedes aegypti) as a major spreader in the Americas of Zika and its risk of birth defects and possible paralysis. But Ae.aegypti may not be the only culprit. Recent evidence raises concerns that a relative, the Asian tiger mosquito (Ae. albopictus), might also play a role zika.jpg run.jpg

3. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

Here is some interesting information about that particular species of mosquito. This article is a few years old now; but it explains how they have genetically modified the Aedes aegypt mosquito. The stated plan was that it would help to stop the spread of the mosquitoes by making them breed offspring that would then die.
    However, the article explains that sometimes the creatures can adapt, and then they never know exactly what the consequenses of the mutation will be.
    These genetically mutated mosquitoes were released in most of the same parts of the world as they are now having the Zika virus infection.

Crichton’s Revenge

4. 2sweed

Now if you live in the south mainly Florida, you might have much bigger worries with mosquito's like this.

alligator  mosquito.jpg

killeroy154 and happyflowerlady like this.
  5. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

Yipes ! I will certainly watch out for that species of mosqui-gator, @2sweed ! I did plant some mint around the front porch since mint is supposed to smell offensive to mosquitoes; so maybe it will keep those wicked-looking skeeters away, too. Those look like they might be a genetically-modified species, too; so I wonder what the scientists thought that these might be good for ?
    Since I am not in Florida, maybe we are out of their habitat; but I WAS thinking of turning the old backyard swimming pool into a small fish farm........... Now I am not so sure if I want to do that or not.
    Thanks for the warning !

6. Sarah89

Sarah89 Novice Camper

I say no. According to Dr. Kathy Forti, Zika virus has never actually been proven to cause birth defects. In fact she state that only a small percentage of those infected would get mild sick symptoms. I think it'll end up being like ebola and nothing heard of it this time next year.

killeroy154 and campforums like this.
  7. gracer

gracer Explorer

There was a time that I also worried about the virus spreading out here in my area but luckily, it never did. I think that the Aedes Aegypti is a very lethal mosquito specie because it has the ability to carry viruses or diseases with it. We don't have Zika virus here in the Philippines but our main worry is the Dengue virus, which can be deadly if not managed early. The Aedes Aegypti also carries the virus that's why we are doing all the necessary precautions we can to avoid being bitten by these small killers.

8. ashley0323

ashley0323 Novice Camper

Eh, this question can get technical. Honestly, theres not too much you can do to prevent it, except use mosquito repellent, just like you would do in any case. I think as long as you are using the repellent and try do prevent mosquitos biting you at all, then theres not much to worry about. We dont know what mosquitos are carrying zika, and which ones arent.

Draft saved Draft deleted