1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Simple Ideas for More Storage, Less Clutter

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Girl Camping Girl, Aug 16, 2013.

1. DSCN2780.jpg

A vintage trailer is like a vintage small house: It forces you to be creative about storage and to maximize space where and how you can.

DSCN2783.jpg

I found small, coated-wire baskets (Dollar Tree, $1 each) that fit neatly inside the over-sink cupboard of my trailer. Using napkins for padding, I set heavier items, like metal bowls and silverware, inside those containers. This keeps them from rolling around during transit and popping the cupboard doors open.

DSCN2785.jpg

Then I used a metal shelf-riser (from the kitchen/bath storage section at Ross) to create a second tier of shelf space. It holds lightweight items, such as silk flowers or paper goods--things that won't force the door open if I happen to hit a bump or pothole.

DSCN2776.jpg

I've found that I get more use and better storage from my small trailer sink if I keep an enamel bowl in the sink. It's easier to pitch a small bowl of wash water than to drain and clean the sink. The bowl keeps necessities handy (glasses, watch, phone) and I still can tuck other items, like towels, around the outside of the bowl. By adding another shelf-riser over the sink, I gain extra flat surface area--something you never have too much of in a small trailer.

DSCN2775.jpg

This is another of my favorite ways to get extra surface space--by placing an old metal serving tray over the sink. Also a great way to hide the clutter-bits when someone comes over to visit your trailer!

DSCN2778.jpg

Here's another way to utilize a shelf-riser and serving tray. And once you have these simple extras in hand, I'm sure you'll find other ways to put them to work in your vintage trailer!

Continue reading...

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Using the metal risers and the tray on top as a little extra platform seems like a great idea to create extra space although I'm not sure how comfortable my hands would be having to work under or on top of that. Also you have to worry about what you put on there in case you go over a pothole.

Draft saved Draft deleted