1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Sleeping with No Tent - Only a Sleeping Bag

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by Jason76, May 16, 2018.

1. Jason76

Jason76 Novice Camper

Some might choose this route, but it can problematic with rain. However, though, I'm sure some can even tough it out with light rain - and maybe even heavier stuff! Has anyone tried to camp with only a sleeping bag? What was the experience? Myself, I tried it once at a camp in West Virginia and it wasn't so bad! Well, it was cold due to it being spring, but that wasn't the fault of the bag!

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...I've slept out cowboy style - that is to say pad, sleeping bag close to a night time fire - and have enjoyed it. Though, given weather conditions I've always had an alternative sleep site. It's great to fall asleep after watching a fabulous sky or taking in a full moon.

upload_2018-5-16_12-25-8.jpeg

3. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

When it rains, it wouldn't matter much if you have only the sleeping bag or the tent because over here, the rains are always pouring heavily that we had experienced sleeping inside the tent and got drenched. But if you are sure of the weather, I guess the sleeping bag is one comfortable way of getting a good sleep when in the wilderness. However, it depends on the location because if there is a probable presence of wild animals then I would prefer the tent for safety. The sleeping bag will make you be an open target for beasts.

4. Northern Dancer

...it would depend on where you are camping. There really aren't any beasts in our area. In the west there are Grizzly Bears and in the north there are Polar Bears but where I camp they are not a problem.

It is all about style and the kind of equipment you are using. The reality is that you can do just about anything you want.

I can well assure you that a tent will not prevent a beast attack. If they want you they are coming for you.

upload_2018-5-17_13-50-32.jpeg IT'S ABOUT FOOD!

Jason76 and killeroy154 like this.
  5. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Oh yea! Where's the cookies?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

6. Jason76

Jason76 Novice Camper

So how can we prevent animals from coming in? Keep the food in containers? Eat all of it before bedtime?

How good is the tent, though? Surely they have better ones!

7. Northern Dancer

THE STANDARD PRACTICE for managing bears are several -

Do not store any food stuffs in your tent.
    Do not have toothpaste, deodorants and the like or anything that has an ordour in a tent.
    Do not cook in your tent but a distance away.
    Store foods properly.
    Hang your food in storage barrels at least twenty feet for the ground.
    Manage your garbage properly.
    Obey the protocols for bear management as recommended by local authority.
    Take a bear management course.
    IN TERMS OF TENTS

There are several varieties of tents that are well designed and water proof if you follow the manufacturer's instructions. All my tents are top quality (outfitters) and assure excellent protection against the elements including storms, snow, ice and wind.

killeroy154 and Jason76 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted