1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Smores variations

Discussion in 'Food' started by Jessi, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Jessi

Jessi Novice Camper

So smores are obviously a classic camping food/snack/dessert.

How do you like yours, though? Do you follow the standard method with two graham crackers, a bar of chocolate, and a warm marshmallow? Or do you mix it up?

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I found a great article on a camping blog which lists a bunch of different alternatives for making smores.

http://realfamilycamping.blogspot.ca/2011/06/july-4th-dessert-smores-10-ways.html

What I like to do (which isn't mentioned in the article) is add some meat like ham or left over hot dogs. For the hot dogs you should probably cook them on their own first before putting them in so they get cooked all the way through.

3. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

I don't know about adding hot dogs to something made of graham crackers, marshmallows, and chocolate... Or were you thinking of something else? Something like a sandwich only...? Yeah maybe I should check the link.

4. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

reply: Smores are very sweet for me and I can't eat them no more due to being diabetic. I wouldn't mind trying it with sugar free Hershey bars and sugar free marshmallow on a graham cracker. I wonder how that would come out and taste?

5. Jezebella

Jezebella Newbie

My sister and I made mini smores over a candle the other day. We used teddy grahams, m&m's and mini marshmellows. I have to say it was an improvement over regular smores because the M&M gave it a delicious crunch. They make M&M candy bars now and I am thinking next time I go camping I will bring a few and try to switch up my smores a bit. I know one person who put cream cheese on her smores. She was carrying in stuff in a cooler anyway. I thought it was a little weird, but appreciated having some cream cheese on my toast in the morning so props to her.

NaturalBeauty_35 likes this.
  6. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Just for fun use the white chocolate bars, instead of the standard plain chocolate bar. Once we tried using peppermint patties, which were good but the mint was a bit too much. They are good though by using Reeses Peanut butter cups, then add the marshmellow and graham crackers. My younger brother loves them made that way. Mallow Cups are good to as they provide the creamy center so marshmellows are not really needed.

7. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

S mores - National S mores day is celebrated in the United States on August 10th.

S mores came into being with the publication of Tramping and Trailing with Girl Scouts 1927.

8. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Why am I not all the surprised that smores have to do with Girl Scouts in some way or another? Honestly I'm only surprised there isn't a smore cookie of some kind being sold by them at a ridiculous pricing.

9. Northern Dancer

Isn't that true. REALLY HAPPY TO SEE YOU ON LINE. :)

10. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Oh Hai! Yeah considering how much the Girl Scouts love them some money I honestly is kind of in shock. Then again they did completely gut their selection of cookies so who really knows - and I say that as someone who sold an ungodly amount of Girl Scout Cookies.

11. Northern Dancer

As the Girl Guides were into cookies the Scouts were into apples. I was never a youth member but I've been an area Leader and National Trainer.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  12. Sweetkymom

Sweetkymom Newbie

I'm not exactly a s'mores eating perso n but I have made a different flavored one besides chocolate. I used Skittles. It actually came out pretty good.

13. Northern Dancer

Tells us more - recipes and methods. :)

14. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Yeah - which means you know that living rooms become much smaller when filled with crates of merchandise. Still we did set a regional record for the next three years so there is that. Also there are some seriously creepy people in the world... I hate selling door to door.

15. Northern Dancer

I've heard about, "I surrender my living room to the Girl Guides." We have stopped a lot of the door to door stuff and sell through other organizations like the church, office and school. Smaller boxes bigger price. :)

16. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Yes - I missed having a window for two to three weeks. Also I did my best sells with folks at the office, at the schools, couple of daycares, and occasionally the church. I really enjoy not having to do this anymore.

17. tess pfeif

tess pfeif Newbie

As a camper and a camp counselor, I am well versed in how to make s'more, well, amazing. One of the simplest "hacks" for peanut butter lovers would be to replace the piece of chocolate with a reeses. I have also seen this done with other candies such as peppermint patties, twix, and milky ways.

One of my best friend's creation was the "girl scout s'more" which was a traditional s'more but with thin mints instead of graham crackers.

NaturalBeauty_35 likes this.
  18. I like my S'mores the original way with two Graham Crackes, Hershey Bar and a huge roasted marshmallow. There's nothing better than doing them over a camp fire. If I'm not camping out, I will do them at home with my family and friends in my backyard around a small fire. Recently, I bought me, a S'mores Grilling Rack online from Amazon.com. Now I can do them on my grill when I'm not camping out somewhere... ;)

smore-to-love.jpg

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  19. Northern Dancer

Camp Counsellor? I'm a camping man. So...what camp did you do your counselling?

...and indeed we have the American Girl Guides to thank for the whole idea of smores. :cyclops:

20. tess pfeif

tess pfeif Newbie

Oh, wow!! That this is amazing and would be a hit with my college roommates. I hope you don't mind if I ask some questions about it, because it looks amazing! Is it easy to use and clean? About how long does it take to "cook" (or, I guess in this case, BBQ) the s'mores? Are there any mistakes you've made that you would warn against for new users? I know you said you like original, unaltered s'mores, but have you or any family/friends tried something different? How did it work? Last but not least, how true to a campfire s'more are they? Sorry about all these questions but I'm about ready to click buy on it but would love your opinion and knowledge on it before I do! Thank goodness for AmazonPrime...

Draft saved Draft deleted