1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Snow camping?

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by killeroy154, Jan 21, 2016.

1. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

When you northern people go snow camping, how do you deal with these issues.
    Getting snow in the tent from around your pant cuffs and on your boots, and does this cause alot of problems when it melts and get your stuff wet?
    What about the area in front of the door to your tent, doesn't it get all wet and muddy?
    I was wondering because we just got our first snow of the year. I love it when it snows, but it usually doesn't last more than a day or two and then it melts and gets, ick, outside.
    4f06c8e64fcdb240778a0b83e7a2e6fb.jpg
    The mtn is what they call the Devils Nose around here. I just took this pic this morning from front porch.
    I love camping when it's cold outside, but corious how you deal with these issues?

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Everyone deals with it differently - winter camping is full of challenges. I usually shovel the snow around the tent to reduce taking it inside. Since I am hot tenting as soon as I go in for a period of time I have a boot tray and I use what what I call camp boots for inside. In my situation I also have a vestibule that I can brush the snow off before going in. So I keep a broom handy.

Depending on the depth of the snow I wear snow gaiters that can easily be removed. I have used snow mats at the entrance of the tent to stomp my feet. Now that is for the Alaknak - when it comes to a crawl in tent one has to think about how one is going to handle matters because of the confined space.

Our next winter camp in the second weekend in February. The last weekend it poured rain.:(

alaknak_in_the_snow.jpg This is my Alaknak with the vestibule.

3. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

That looks interesting. Maybe one of these days I can do something like that. I guess I am a little to far south for that. I hope you have a good camping trip next month.

4. Northern Dancer

Thanks killerroy154 - we are hoping for snow. Since I boast that I'm a four season camper I need to get out at least two or three times in the winter to sustain my credibility. :)

We have snow in our region but absolutely nothing like some parts of the US - now that's snow!

upload_2016-1-24_14-56-26.jpeg Man...how do I get out of this?

5. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I think for winter camping you need to be a lot more serious because you need to really have the right equipment compared to summer camping where you can often get by with just the essentials. I am not a big fan of the idea of winter camping but I would like to give it a try once someday.

6. Northern Dancer

You are right about equipment. It's not necessary to purchase all the expensive stuff you see at the outdoor stores but you do have to be knowledgeable and know how to take care of yourself. For me, the sleeping bag is probably the most important piece of equipment - along with some kind of shelter.

I use tents - but I have slept outside in a Adirondack.

upload_2016-1-24_22-40-4.jpeg

7. Camp6

Camp6 Novice Camper

You must go camping with a sleeping cot since it will be impossible to sleep on the ground. I usually consider carrying winter clothes to keep me warm. I have also never forgotten to carry my gas heater. I also carry lithium batteries to power my electronics because they work consistently in cold weather.

8. Northern Dancer

The last trip I slept on the ground proper.

One foot under the tent.
    One ground blanket in the tent plus
    One ground rug
    One sleeping pad
    One winter sleeping bag with insert
    One hot water bottle placed at the foot of the bag before getting in
    One four season tent.

There was only room for me and a bit of space for storage.
    I do not wear my day cloths but change into a fleece sweat pant and put on down filled booties :).

Draft saved Draft deleted