1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Snowshoeing!!

Discussion in 'Trails' started by campforums, Oct 16, 2014.

1. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

@Northern Dancer reminded me all about snowshoeing. When winter comes around I like to go along the trails that I would normally ride my mountain bike over with snow shoes. I don't go snowshoeing as much as a lot of people because I find that it is only really fun when there is a lot of snow, like enough that without the snowshoes you would sink in. You can usually find areas like this in spots where there are obstructions so that the wind can pile up all the snow in one place. Like beside hills, wooded areas or next to lakes and streams.

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I have an old pare of Huron style snowshoes that I use. Like you, I don't do a lot of that anymore - not sure why. I will be taking them with me on our winter camp in January.

2lwm1wg.jpg PHOTO FROM THE NET

3. campforums

Ah that is neat. Those are the kind I've wanted to try but every place I've looked only has the more modern style ones that are made of steel and plastic. Like this:

snowshoes.jpg

It seems like the surface area of the modern ones is a lot less than the ones you have. But they is no holes like the mesh so maybe it provides the same resistance.

4. Northern Dancer

I like the Huron style, though I have tried both. The shorter ones, because they seem easier to walk in while the Huron style, the ones that I own, require you to pick your feet up a bit more. If you haven't been snowshoeing for awhile your ankle muscles can become a bit sore. I sense there is a greater weight distribution with the Huron style - though I could be wrong about that. The snowshoes that I demonstrated are without the adjustable harness.

Like every piece of equipment, it will depend on your needs and preference. But I can tell you for sure - when I walked over snow that was 5 and 7 [2 meters plus] feet deep I didn't have any trouble at all.
    And - if you are carrying a pack and hulling a toboggan behind you with your equipment you can count on them.

5. campforums

If they're easier to walk in that is probably why they are more popular nowadays. Especially since most people are going over such deep snow banks so the weight distribution is not as important. How about weight, is the material for the Huron style ones lighter than the metal ones? I can attest that after snowshoeing for a few hours your ankle will be a bit sore. But it is a good satisfying sore that you get after good exercise. Not a soreness from the way the straps are or anything like that.

6. Northern Dancer

I didn't notice any real weight difference - probably proportionate. The aluminum ones might be lighter - I don't think they are as good. In terms of carry weight I think that they would be much the same. Though Huron type snowshoes, like regular shoes, come in various sizes - I think mine are 12 x 48 for a person weighing 100 - 200 pounds [45 - 90 kilograms]. It is also designed for distance travel. As well as the snowshoe you have to have the bindings. The cost varies of course - but the general range would be in the neighbourhood of $200.00. I'm always surprised at the variance in cost; always shop around and always on sale.

You might want to look up Canadian Outdoor Equipment or Native Made Snowshoes - Huron Snowshoes as they give you some background and information; especially the Native Made Snowshoes site. Cabela's Canada has them in stock at $133.00 plus foot harness.

7. campforums

What sort of binding do you have on yours? The ones in the picture just look like they are a kinda one size fits all strap that you slip into. $133 is quite a bit less than $200, is that where you got yours? I don't actually go snowshoeing that much to warrant buying them, so the times I have gone was with rentals or borrowing from a friend. I do own some skis though.

8. Northern Dancer

I admit I don't do a lot of snowshoeing either - but on occasion I get the urge. I purchased my snowshoes in Thunder Bay. I use a leather type binding which are running at about $30.00. So time you put them together, plus the taxes in today's terms you are getting close to the $200.00 mark +. Though as I pointed out - always shop and compare and look for the sales. I checked out Sails - man, they have some pretty interesting prices - they don't sell Hurons. Canadian Outdoor Equipment in Mississauga have Ojibwa snowshoes for sale at $192.75 and Hurons for $159.50 and bindings from $33 - $57.

Agreed - it is better to borrow or even rent if that is possible.

BUT - you "gots skis" - downers or crossers?
    o_O

9. campforums

Thanks for the price breakdown. My skis are "downers" as you call them but I have been cross country skiing also. I wasn't really a fan of it. It seemed more like work than fun and I was always looking for small hills to glide down as I trudged along the trial which made it kinda like downhill skiing anyways lol. However if you've done both you will know that downhill skiiing with cross country skis is pretty difficult because of the way the bindings lift up at the back which makes it hard to turn or stop without falling over if you pick up speed.

10. Northern Dancer

I've done cross country skiing - but as for down hill it was all down hill for me. It seems that my lack of manual dexterity is lacking in my feet as well. :( Still - I have enough toys to keep me occupied in the snow. Speaking of the marshmallow stuff; the indicators suggest that winter will do well in our neck of the woods. :)

2yk1che.jpg

campforums likes this.
  11. campforums

Yeah I noticed a little bit of snow coming down today actually. Skiiing can be tricky at first, getting the skis to point in the direction you want them to.

I am in the mood for some snow right now :)

12. Northern Dancer

Surprisingly enough I'm in the mood for snow too. And cross country skiing? - I just follow the trail already made - sort of like being on a train track - I just chug along.

13. campforums

Yep, that's exactly why it gets so boring haha. But even the dips and peaks along the existing path is usually enough to pick up a little speed!!

Sometimes I like going off the the trails and through the powder on my downhill skis but I usually try to avoid it because it can really dent up your skis going over rocks, mud patches or anything not covered by snow.

14. Northern Dancer

Though some times the [train] tracks can take you to some interesting places. But alas, I think you are right. I get the same feeling when I watch people hike past me using two [trekking] poles. I've never really figured what that's about. True, I use a staff on some of my hikes for various reasons.

15. campforums

You mean ski poles? Or those who use them just for walking?

I have never used poles for just walking myself but I can understand for those that do. Especially if you are carrying a very heavy pack, it is a long hike, or you have a weak back. What does your staff look like? I have seen some really cool looking ones, for example one that my uncle has that he bought from a native american merchant which is decorated with beads and leather.

16. Northern Dancer

Yes - I was referring to walking/trekking poles that have become popular of recent date. I do have a picture of my walking staff but it might be hard to see. It is carved from a maple limb. It was a gift from friends. I made the wooden feather decoration. They are really handy for maintaining balance of slope and rocky trails. And for some - it tends to be a bit of fashion.

1037pya.jpg
    They are hard to see but there are small metal badges attached. The metal badges use to be very popular at one time but have gone out of style.

17. campforums

Yeah, that one looks similar to the one my uncle has. It has a feather also.

Have you ever considered applying some varnish? I think it'd look quite nice, but whatever suites your tastes.

Also, FYI you can upload images directly to the forum if you like and avoid the hassle of using other 3rd party image hosting.

18. Northern Dancer

I have it varnished to a high sheen. When it came it was a bit longer - designed so people could cut a piece off to suit their size and needs.

I'm going to work on your suggestion about uploading images. I'm also identifying my source picture if it is not my own.

19. campforums

Oh okay, that is also very nice. I couldn't tell from the image but as long as it is not just plain uncovered wood that should help with the longevity by keeping out moisture. Now that we are talking about skiing I just had the thought of someone trying to use two of those walking staffs as downhill ski poles hahaha.

Also yeah, cool. It is very easy. Just click the button "Upload a File" under the post editor and insert any image from your computer.

20. Northern Dancer

I'll give that a try. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted