1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Snowshoeing!!

Discussion in 'Trails' started by campforums, Oct 16, 2014.

1. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I picked up some "modern style" snowshoes today because I saw them at Costco and they usually have good products at good prices.

I might end up returning them though because I heard that SAIL is having a sale and I might want to see if they can beat my Costco purchase first.

Here is a picture of the Costco ones:

IMG_20141219_224523.jpg

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Interesting. The problem with SAIL (that I pointed out to them as you might expect) they do not have a good web page. The only way to do it is to shop and compare. Take in MEC as well. My experience with Costco is that they have stunned me on occasion with some of the prices of some products. Like the stove/oven combination that they had a few years back. Half the cost of the Cabela's model and a newer model at that.

Can I ask how much you paid? Another suggestion - sometimes Costco online shopping have more choices.

3. campforums

Those ones (in the picture) were $80 per pair, to be honest I like your wooden style ones better but I doubt I could find ones like that for anywhere close to that price. Their boxing day sale is 20-50% off, so I am not sure if that would be able to beat Costco since I expect their regular prices are a bit higher... Yeah Costco is great :) But their .ca store doesn't have that much compared to their .com (American) selection.

4. Northern Dancer

That's a good price. The wooden ones - if I can be bold - are a bit more romantic, traditional and the like. On the other hand, they have done some extensive research on the modern ones and they fair well, though not as historical looking, they do the job. If you are not going nuts on snowshoeing I'm sure that they will serve you well.

For what it is worth. I've looked at the kind of snowshoes that you have purchase and if I didn't have the ones I have own I'm sure that I would be investing in the new kind.

happyflowerlady likes this.
  5. campforums

Well I looked at the SAIL website and they have one pair for $63.99 and a few for $79.99 but most of the models are well over 100 bucks so I don't think I will bother going there to look. I think these are probably a good deal, unfortunately they don't have the same model so I can't really compare though.

6. Northern Dancer

I see that a lot - sometimes I wonder how they are able to manage that.

7. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

I wish I had had a pair of those when I lived in Missouri ! We hardly ever got much snow to speak of; but we sure did have ice storms. The freezing rain would start in the day, soak in until it started freezing overnight, and then you would end up with ice several inches thick every where by the next morning. It was cold enough to keep it from actually melting, but in the daytime, it did get a thin sheet of water on the top, making it even harder to walk on.

I had to get out to the barn to feed the livestock, and it was a very slight down-hill going out and up-hill coming back, and both were next to impossible to walk on in that slick ice. First, I tried holding on to the collar of my Great Dane; but poor Caesar could not walk on the ice either, so it was a hard and slow trip out to the barn. Coming back up to the house, I took along my hayfork and used that to walk. I would stab it into the ice ahead of me, slide my feet up to the pitchfork, and then stab it a foot in front of me again. It was still a good 10 minute trip from the barn to the house, but at least I didn't fall and hurt myself.

8. campforums

Yeah that is basically what those metal cleats are made for. They are kind of the opposite of ice skates. The worst thing about the kind of ice you describe is that since the rain sort of conforms to the ground which is not exactly even the surface isn't usually flat or even fully frozen. So when you are walking it makes even more dangerous because some areas are not slippery at all so you might underestimate it whereas some areas are very slippery and then other areas are just a big puddle. Sounds like an injury waiting to happen right?

happyflowerlady likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted