1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Solar Panel Charging

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by campforums, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Hand-cranked generator ready for anything — The X100 Power Hub ($249) is the world’s first hand cranked generator with solar and utility grid outputs. While it might look like something straight out of Star Trek, it’ll power almost anything. New for 2015 [Gear Junkie will have more information about this one].

18841.jpg

2. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

When a company puts out a flashy product like that, with all the curves and virtually meaningless lights, I get the impression they're more interested in grabbing money from gadget lovers than they are making a well-thought out, useful and durable tool. I mean seriously - what's with the multiple lights on an oddly shaped, curvy part? Nothing like extra lights to drain the battery you charged to run ______. If a company like Goal Zero built something with the same capabilities, I guarantee you it would look a lot different.

3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Well a crazy amount of time was probably spent deciding on that shape, whatever "market research" pointed towards that design must have cost the company a pretty penny.

4. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

The only batteries I buy online are the AGMs (gel cells) - I get them from Amazon because they have the consistently best price. That's a shame when there are so many local places that sell them but, I guess as is typical, they can't compete with cyber stores. I buy lead acid deep cycles for my canoe from whatever local place has the best price at the time I need them.

For home solar, I think lead acid batteries from places like Trojan Batteries are the most common. The batteries are what's kept me from putting solar in my house. Wet cell batteries have a tendency to outgas - something I don't want in my house. They also need more maintenance to make sure they aren't running dry. AGM batteries are maintenance free but, in the capacity that I'd need them, would cost and arm and a leg. And lithium, as I've already mentioned, is way out of reach.

5. campforums

For heavy items like a battery, that is where Amazon's awesome free shipping would definitely come in handy :D

In some areas you can make money from your solar investment by putting the energy back into the grid. For example I know for a while where I live there was subsidies for "green energy" and you could get paid more for the energy you generated from your solar panels than it would cost to buy the power from the utility company. Kinda stupid and doesn't make a lot of sense but you don't necessarily need batteries this way if you can get rid of your excess power another way. Or if you only have 1 or 2 solar panels I doubt you will run a surplus of power even when the sun is at its peak.

6. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

I'm pretty sure it's law everywhere, at least in the U.S., that you get paid for power you put back into the system.
    As far as not needing a battery to pump juice back to the grid, yes, it's possible with a grid tie inverter. Personally, I won't go that route until I have a full sized system, as in 10, 12 or more panels on the roof. Paying the necessary qualified electrician to install a small system would take too many years to recoup the cost.

7. campforums

Well even without pumping the power back into the system I imagine that there is some minimum amount of power your house uses throughout the day which could be offset by solar panels so that you don't have to use a battery or waste any power. Then you would only have to pay for power in the evenings even if that is when the most usage is.

8. Northern Dancer

...what ever happened to the less complicated time when candles would have done well, hard work would have sufficed, a sharp axe would have been valued, and a covered wagon would go a long way. :thumbsup:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcStDuRGZdiMTWcW-QsphAqXPM-q4YgMRMJf9Z2H27EXD7vyC_R8.jpg

9. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

Well... in the early 1900s, the internal combustion engine was put into a carriage and, since then, there have been a few technological advances in some other areas. SO, my buckboard stays in the back yard, the horse got sold, and REI has had a few sales that I couldn't resist.

Northern Dancer and campforums like this.
  10. Northern Dancer

...luv your sense of humour.

11. Solar panels are very efficient in their work. And good work and performance is provided by the mppt charge controller, I say this based on my own experience of using this controller. This miracle of technology helps to tune everything to the smallest detail and ensure the efficiency of all solar panels for years to come.

12. Northern Dancer

=====> They can only get better. I often think to myself, "How much of the new technology do I want and how much do I really need?" I do have to say that I've reduced my "battery consumption" considerably over these last few years. Nice to see you online.

Draft saved Draft deleted