1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Solo Canoe and Camping Trips

Discussion in 'On the Water' started by 2sweed, Nov 24, 2017.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I am always happy to be able to watch someone else go on that adventure they have dreamed about doing or planned out for a long time. I am going to add different video's to this thread so those of us at home can share the adventures and learn how others took to the waters or land to embrace the great outdoors.

These first video's are of a young woman's trip into the Algonquin Park in 2017. She speeds up here video's at times and makes me laugh in imagining she is running with her canoe on her back. I think her diet is vegan, thus to spark some interest in types of food she brought for her trip, as well as, a detailed list of her equipment.

Please feel free to add to this thread any video's or thoughts and opinions on the video's or just solo camping in general.

Recepaliskan and Northern Dancer like this.
  2. 2sweed

This next solo trip is amazing. The scenery is beautiful and you will want to increase your screen so you can truly feel a part of the trip. At times you will imagine yourself sitting in their canoe as they glide gently down the Yukon River. This is a documentary about a trip from Minto to Dawson, Canada.
    Hope you enjoy the trip as much as I did.

3. 2sweed

Plain & Simple:
    A Conversation on Solo Hiking

4. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

I am amused and interested whenever I would see a solo hiker or camper. There is a show in Discovery about a guy who is alone in the forest that he tries to survive by what the forest has to offer. Over here, it is very risky to hike alone much more camp alone whether it is on land or water. It is a shame to admit that criminals are always out there, lurking and waiting for a victim. A companion is not only a partner in the hike but also a protection of sorts against criminal elements. But even without the risk of criminals, I still don't see myself doing a solo hike or camping because it will be boring to be alone in the wilderness.

5. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...far from boring Dude, it is exhilarating. I've camped and canoed solo for years and have never had a problem. Or at least, a problem that I couldn't deal with. I've capitalized on my education and training and have had marvelous experiences over the years. If I do have company it is usually with one other like-minded person or my faithful dog. It has been fun going with groups, but fewer the better. I live in a different county and have difficulty appreciating your circumstance. In my environment, I'm more concerned about the weather and if I have supplies to carry me through or if I brought enough dog food.

IMG_0386.jpg

Alone, with Reese [my Black Lab] headed back to my campsite
    after exploring the Lake we are camped on.

2sweed likes this.
  6. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I like going solo, but I am not oblivious of what could happen. If I am in a camp area with other people that I don't know, I'll move somewhere else if I'm not comfortable with them around. When I go solo I'll take an extra light weight small chair, so it looks like there is 2 people camping. But what is nice, is when I go solo with the canoe in remote state park areas, where camping is allowed anywhere you pick to camp, I can camp where no one knows I am there. Some place are so thick with vegetation and brush that you can camp un-noticed and close to the water. I don't go solo any more, unless I'm in a established camp area, because my wife had concerns for my safety, so I promised her I wouldn't do that unless someone was with me. Sometimes you are much safer being away from established camping areas.

7. Northern Dancer

I hear your wisdom and can appreciate your circumstance. I'm sure I'm naive but other than standard safety practices - food, water, weather, self, and the environment I really haven't had any issues. I've never been accosted, threatened, challenged or experienced any violent like behaviours. On the contrary - most people I have met are great including foreign visitors.

In our Provincial Park system (interior camping) you can't just camp anywhere. You are in a designated area and must log a float plan in case there is an emergency. On a particular lake, there may be (as an example) ten designated spaces available. You can camp at any one of them. First come first served - that's why I make it a point to land about 2:00 PMish to get the best spot. Each campsite allows up to nine persons of the same party on any given site.

You are required to have your permit and you keep that on you at all times.

Algonquin, in particular, has wardens on the water and there is fly over once or twice a day. One needs to be careful about "hiding" - this could cause personal problems.

For what it's worth.

8. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Oh I don't mean to hide from any type of forest Rangers or law enforcement, I think sometimes it's best if someone can't just drift by your camp to check out what kind of a target you would be, or what you have. I'd rather see enforcement personnel more often. Most lakes I've camped on, around here anyhow, border part of a national park, and some allow camping in them at the waters edge even if it is not an established site. But you must abide by park rules. Now also there is a twist to most of theses areas, lot of them are not very accessible. To steep, rocky and very thick vegetation. Some islands on the lakes have camp sites like you described, where you have to have a permit and have it attached to you tent. Those I prefer because you can reserve some weeks in advance and for 6 bucks or so a night. Most drive in campsites here are around 30 buck a night. Eww I'm to cheap for that.

9. Northern Dancer

In the areas that I frequent, there are renegades that camp on undesignated sites to avoid fees. Often they are coming in off privates lands into crown land and are not able to pick up a pass.

Love your fees. Interior camping for Algonquin is $12.43 a night (that includes a 13 percent tax). Established campgrounds will cost you $44.91. It is the most expensive fees for our parks system. But I love the place and I'm now eligible for a 20% discount. It's relatively close and easily accessed. There are other places that I journey to as well and cost less.

I did manage to do some canoeing in the Thunder Bay region years back. That was really wild and you were pretty much on your own. I was younger then and had the spirit of a courer des bois (runner of the woods). Now I'm more calculating and cognizant of my skills and the terrain I'm in.

10. Recepaliskan

Recepaliskan Novice Camper

So nice...if you are alone you are free you don't need to ask your ideas to anyone
    My page mean Tehere is someone on the way
    Of course 3-5 friends sometimes good but all tje time you cant fine friend Humans usually match,tv cinema,weddimg,disco,bar,bla bla bla....
    Thanks for sharing

E6633 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

11. EricBTTA

EricBTTA Novice Camper

Solo trip are the best, far from boring. In regards to criminals you shouldn’t scare yourself out of doing solo trips just because they could potentially be out there. Chances are the weather will still pose as your greatest threat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Northern Dancer likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted