1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

South African campsites

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Pretorius Bernadis, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Pretorius Bernadis

Pretorius Bernadis Novice Camper

South Africa is full of gorgeous camping spots – deciding where to book your summer holiday can get a little overwhelming.
    Hiking the Otter Trail:
    Chris-Davies-Otter-Trail-1567-1024x683.jpg

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

That picture looks beautiful, thanks for including it in this post as well as your other posts and also welcome to Camping Babble! Would you say camping is a popular thing to do in South Africa? I've noticed quite a few visitors from there online

3. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

..what comparable African camping experience could a Canuck (in this neck of the woods) have?
    Oh....ya....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSNF-XBPOLG_JpYBSZVdfhJtzw7ynEZK1-imxerJpadOBvNIn5BLQ.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQ2KpVKuQK2kzUNDoT8bNeaVh3VASSJRbzMFJh4XCl8ogeLWot.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQIgQ-DURrnMi5wHGUMidHlAYF-4lo7oN_WUF8PwMW82i0fsgaTjg.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTo3kHJ-_mi6zelvt_9oVeGBN99IKeGW7vsveT80QYearOAk15l.jpg
    I've never done it - alas it is only 45 minutes from my home on the Grand.

African Lion Safari is a family-owned safari park situated in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, about 100 kilometres (62 mi) west of Toronto. Though situated in Hamilton city limits, it is located near Cambridge, Ontario. It includes more than 1,000 animals, representing over 100 species of mammals and birds from across the globe. Guests may tour seven game reserves (with a total area of about 740 acres (300 hectares)) traversed via tour buses or the visitors' own vehicles where animals roam freely in large contained areas. Accompanying the game reserves is a large walking section where hundreds of exotic birds and primates, as well as the park's herd of Asian elephants, are on display.

It is an accredited member of the CAZA, and is also a member of the World Association of Zoos and Aquariums (WAZA), the International Elephant Foundation (IEF) as well as the International Association of Avian Trainers and Educators (IAATE). :)

campforums likes this.
  4. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

5. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- :)

No special arrangements are made for the winter other than standard shelter. Apparently the animals simply adjust to the winter season.

Yep! I met Don (he was a parishioner in another parish) and I have to admit I was moved by the passion that this man demonstrated. If you haven't been it's an experience.

The safari park was founded by Gordon Debenham "Don" Dailley, a retired Canadian Army colonel, and opened its doors on August 22, 1969. Dailley initially partnered with the Chipperfield family from England to purchase four farms in the Rockton, Ontario area totaling 250 hectares (620 acres). [With the help of the Provincial Government who wanted tourists to come deeper into Ontario from States Side.] He bought out the Chipperfields in the early 1970s.[5] Dailley's sons Don and James, along with their sister Ginny, took over operations in 1989, following their father's death. It remains privately owned, and the only significant feature was the drive-through reserve. In 1971, the park began working with Asian elephants, and in 1985 they started to make a concentrated effort to breed Asian elephants. Over the years, successful breeding of 30 endangered species and 20 threatened species has occurred in the park.

6. Pretorius Bernadis

Pretorius Bernadis Novice Camper

Oh yes, certainly we do; it gives us an excuse to braai, or like you call it "barbeque". We even camp out in our own backyards when we have the opportunity.

Draft saved Draft deleted