1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Star constellations

Discussion in 'Nature' started by campforums, Feb 28, 2013.

Tags:
  1. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Are there any star gazers with some memorable experiences they wouldn't mind sharing? I know that on a lot of nights the trees and clouds block out the stars and sometime even the moon but it can be very beautiful during the right conditions.

I thinks its great that the constellations change depending on your location and time of the year. This way everyone gets their fair share of each view, no matter where you live in the world.

2. Libragirl67

Libragirl67 Newbie

We live in Northern Michigan. We have been here for about 13 years and have never seen the northern lights. I have heard from several people how awe inspiring and amazing they are. Well, one night in October we were all on a friends back porch. I just don't know how to describe it. The sky looked almost like a fingerpainting. The colors were a bluish green and hints of other colors. it was absolutely breathtaking. Such brilliant colors just covering the sky. That is a sight my family and I will never forget.

3. Junkbots

Junkbots Newbie

Michigander reporting. I feel sorry for the folks in bright smoggy cities who never see stars. Some of my greatest camping memories involved youthful days of stargazing with friends. On a slightly related note, I met a few inner-city kids last year who'd never sat around a campfire. Something about not wanting to look homeless.

4. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

I have gone stargazing outside of the city away from the lights. I was able to go out on a ridge that has parking and stargaze. It really makes a difference when your outside of the city.

5. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

I've managed to catch most of the planetary alignments (and there have been quite a few in the last 30 or so years). I also managed to catch the Shoemaker event form a local observatory. I've seen quite a few meteor showers, and most of the recent sprat of eclipses we've had. Two blue moons and one blood-red one. Haven't caught the Northern lights or a supernova yet, but there's still time. And if I hand on long enough I might have Haley come around again when I'm 80-such.

6. I am getting much better as an adult in identifying constellations, but my real passion is watching meteor showers. The Perseids in August and the Geminids in December are the ones that I can view the best in Pennsylvania. The problem seems to be that bright moonlight and bad weather or clouds, as well as city lights, can make viewing meteors horrible, so it's been a while for me that I've actually seen a good meteor show. A few years ago, I went to Cherry Springs State Park, which is supposed to have one of the darkest night skies in the eastern United States, and the Perseid meteor shower was absolutely amazing to watch.

campforums likes this.
  7. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Does anyone use a telescope? And if you do are you really practiced with it or is it just a slight hobby? I'm trying to do better with my hobby, but I don't really care about being "professional-grade".

8. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

If you are just star gazing then you don't really need much practice using a hobby grade telescope, generally they are fairly easy to setup and focus. The difficulty comes when you want to find a specific constellation or distant object using coordinates in the sky.

Draft saved Draft deleted