1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Study Reveals Wi-Fi is Essential Amenity for Campers

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by campforums, Mar 23, 2015.

1. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Wow, you've got to be kidding me haha

Continue reading: http://www.neowin.net/news/recent-study-reveals-free-wi-fi-is-essential-to-campers-in-the-us

2. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

KOAs are to camping what Starbucks is to coffee - expensive, "trendy" and overrated. As much as I spend just about my entire home life on a computer, when I go out into the woods, the last thing I want to see is Facebook, email and videos. I'm one of about 5 holdouts I know when it comes to Smartphones. I don't want one and don't need one. Yeah - I carry a cell phone in case of emergency, but it's turned off so I don't have to hear it ringing when the sales pitches come calling.

3. campforums

What is KOA like? I am not familiar with it. Here we have a range of types of camping you can do from renting a cabin or part of a group facility with full utilities to backwoods camping where you are alone with your tent. I wouldn't be surprised if the results of that study carried over to Canada as well.

4. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

It's been years since I looked at one, but the pictures I have in my head are very vivid. They were definitely full-featured, with camp stores and bathhouses and had everything from primitive tent-only sites to RV sites to cabins. BUT - there were rules galore and the sites were stacked up right on top of each other. The tenting areas almost reminded me of a prison work camp. Maybe because it was hot the day we drove through, but all we saw were people sitting in front of their tents, looking bored as hell. No radios playing, no one laughing, kids not even running around. Then again, there was much room FOR running around. On top of all that, like I said before - they're expensive! I'd have just as much fun camping in my backyard - at considerably less out of pocket expense.

There are KOAs in Canada, probably one near you. Maybe you can check one out and give us your impression.

5. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

KOA's are campgrounds with every available recreation known to mankind tucked into one area. They have all showers and restrooms, things for the children to do and lots of noise and excitement, of music and other games for adult entertainment. I think the one thing that lack most is peace and quiet, at least the quiet that most of us campers enjoy. They are crowded with travel trailers and people constantly coming and going. It all depends on what type of camping you are doing and how your traveling, such as on road trips these KOA campgrounds can give you a safe place to park at night in many locations. Kind of like the Good Sam Club.

6. campforums

Maybe, although after your review of the place I'm not so sure that I want to. They have similar ones run by Parks Ontario as well but not quite as deluxe I don't think. The reason the camp sites are so close together I think is because everyone wants to get relatively close to the amenities.

7. actadh

actadh Pathfinder

I am considering a KOA campground to visit my daughter and grandkids, but my use would be more for a secure place to sleep and a place to take a shower than for a traditional camping experience. I would only be there at night. I would rather stay in my own tent and cot than at a motel.

I teach online and log in every day, Having wifi is essential.

campforums likes this.
  8. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

I have stayed in KOA campgrounds before, and they are a great place if you are traveling and want to avoid a motel. If you are looking for a real camping experience, then a KOA is not going to do that for you. As has been stated, there is not a lot to do, the campers are all close together, and it has stores, laundromats, and cabins if you want to rent one. There is just nothing that is the same as driving up to your favorite river or lake way away from everywhere if you want peace and quiet while camping.

When you are traveling, it can be a great way to have a place to stay and not have to be in a motel. If you have pets, they are allowed, and since you can rent a cabin, you can even stay there if you only have your vehicle and no place to sleep. If you have a camper of some kind , then all you need is a camping spot, which comes with water and electricity usually.

When we moved from Idaho to Alabama, we had a small older motorhome, and traveled with several little dogs; so staying in a motel with the dogs would have been harder to do because many motels do not allow pets (or charge an exorbitant amount for allowing them).

We planned out our route, and stayed at the campgrounds every night, and we had room to let the dogs out to eat, play and do their chores. Since there was always shower facilities, we could bathe and even wash clothes when we needed to. We stayed at different kinds of campgrounds rather than the KOA, but the basic idea was the same. I can easily see where someone that was traveling like we were would enjoy being able to use free wifi while camping along the way.

9. JessiFox

JessiFox Novice Camper

It's glamping! lol. I do think it's a bit silly for most, though there are some people who truly can't afford to be entirely disconnected. I can see both perspectives on the matter, honestly.

10. red

red Newbie

I've never been to a KOA site (I don't like to pay for camping, unless it's to the National Park Services), but like @happyflowerlady says, it seems like something "other-than-camping." I understand if you're in the boonies and run into an emergency, how there's definitely a need for signal in that situation if you're new or in over your head, but in most instances, it's unnecessary and is an actual detraction from the experience. I think people feel the need to list it as an essential because they don't want to let go enough to *actually* escape.

11. campforums

It is sort of like breaking a habit. After a day or so of not receiving any notifications or messages you become much more relaxed and forget about even checking your electronic devices.

Draft saved Draft deleted