1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Sub-Zero Camping

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by 2sweed, Oct 11, 2015.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I gotta admit I love these guys. Who else can turn a sub-zero camping trip into one humorous outing. I got frost bit just watching them trudging through the snow. But this is also a way to see equipment in action, as in what works and what fails miserably, as in rethink that next time. Let me know what you think. Comments please.

CherylTorrie and Northern Dancer like this.
  2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

The coldest winter camp out that I experienced was -22 degrees Celsius or - 6 degrees Fahrenheit - that is while I was staying in a tent.

We were out with a group of youth in mid winter (Thunder Bay) and staying in a cabin with a wood stove. It was -32 degrees Fahrenheit. [-35 Celsius] At midnight I went out onto the frozen lake to look up at the moon that had this gigantic ring around it. It was so cold and quiet that I had that glistening sound in my ears. I recall that we used our snowshoes extensively as we tracked around the forest during the day. I think we burned more firewood that weekend that I burned for the entire summer making enjoyable campfires. :)

"The right equipment for the right circumstance is the right thing to do", as an instructor pointed out on one of the courses that I took. And though I've been fortunate not to have winter equipment break down I sure can testify to equipment not working properly or not at all. Like a small portable stove I took out for the first time and had not tested it at home. It didn't work. I learned my lesson well.

CherylTorrie likes this.
  3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I love the videos you post, but sub zero camping is not for me. Winter camping would be one thing but sub zero would another all together. I do a lot of skiing in the winter and when it is really cold it is hard to even be outside more than a few hours at a time. I guess it all comes down to having the right clothing and equipment but for me all that stuff takes a lot of the fun out of enjoying the nice outdoors when it is being so harsh to you

Northern Dancer likes this.
  4. CherylTorrie

CherylTorrie Novice Camper

What an amazing adventure. Thank you for the video 2sweed. The thing I enjoy most about winter camping is the view and this video shared that well. To be camping when the entire world around you is blanketed with snow is well worth the cost of a cold nose. I wouldn't want to be wet though. Not wet at all. These guys seem like they would be having fun exploring if the trip wasn't cut short. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted