1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Survival With Style

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by 2sweed, Apr 29, 2013.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Have you ever been struck in the woods and needed to make a temporary shelter for overnight?
    If you needed to make a shelter would you choose the lean-to style placing a long limb between two trees, forming a ridge pole and adding more limbs to form a rack to place evergreen boughs, to protect you from the weather?

Or would you use a different form of lean-two with notched limbs and a ridgepole for a shelter five feet high and narrowing down to a length of seven feet or less depending on your height?

Some people talk about making a tee-pee shaped shelter because they had a plastic sheet with them to cover the sides. Or a tarp draped over a limb to form a tent.

Maybe it is the fact I read to many Boy Scout magazines, but I think I like the first choices best to provide a dry spot to sleep for the night. For fun I have in younger days built the first model of making a ridge pole and then forming a rack with other poles and using evergreen limbs to form a tight water survival shelter. But I never had to stay in one over night.

Have any of you ever had to use a lean-to in the woods? If so give your thoughts about how well they work for keeping someone dry and comfortable. Others with opinions on this subject please share your views as well.

2. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

For me the shelter has the match the weather conditions I would be in. I live the Pacific Northwest and it gets cold out in the forest. I would make sure it keeps me dry and warm for the night even if I didn't have a fire going. I would make a shelter that doesn't give me much room other than to sleep in to preserve my body heat in it as much as possible.

3. bigteeth96

bigteeth96 Newbie

I need to practice setting up a tent. The only ones I have experience with are those that set up easily. I want to make one from tarp and sticks.

4. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I wouldn't suggest trying to make a stable tent using sticks as supports. If you have a tarp and can get rope I would recommend tying the rope taught between two trees and hanging the tarp over top to form a peak then securing down the sides using sticks as stakes or rocks if the ground is very hard.

5. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Find a large tree and dig in at the bottom using tarp to prevent contact between body and the ground. Then again depending on conditions I might just sling a hammock up in above the ground, belt myself in and get some sleep. I haven't really done any of the other stuff here outside of Scouts.

Draft saved Draft deleted