1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Swedish Firesteel Strikers

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by 2sweed, Jun 3, 2013.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

There are so many choices in getting the camp fire started with using regular or water proof matches and fire lighters. Doing it the old-fashioned way of rubbing two sticks together, or using fire-steel or magnesium fire strikers.
    The video's i watch recommend the stainless steel strikers that can provide up to 3000 strikes to produce sparks to get fires going even in wet weather.

Does anyone here use this handy tool and maybe provide some details on which ones work the best and provide the longest amounts of strikes?
    I am thinking of getting one as an addition to my fire starting choices. What is your opinions on this tool?

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Well in my opinion the tinder you have setup which you are trying to light is much more important than whatever you're using to generate sparks or heat. Most of the tools (even the ones some may consider lousy) do a good enough job if you have some dry tinder ready. Some people actually bring this along with them because it can often be difficult to find dry clean burning fuel in the woods even if it hasn't rained recently.

3. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

I tried one of the fire strikers and I could not get it to work very well on my patio (lucky I tried it first, eh?) I personally think a couple of inexpensive grille lighters are best. They can be stored in a sipper bag (separately in case one gets lost) and they reach farther than a regular lighter (have one of those as a backup).

4. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

These things?

Grill-Lighter-500x300.jpg

Yeah those can be handy for when you to reach your fire tinder at an awkward angle.

5. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I have watched the Canadian man on you-tube use one to start fires with various types of tinder like wood shavings and dried pine needles, parts of birch trees and twigs. I think there is an art to making it work well, but as a back-up tool I think it would be useful to have along when camping or backpacking. It gives you one more choice when all other tools are empty or no longer working, or available. I guess I need to find that video link to share here.

6. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

I would recommend on having more than one fire starting method if I went out into the wilderness. I also would recommend if you are trying to start a fire with more traditional methods that you practice a lot before heading out into the wilderness as well. I personally just use a lighter when I am out camping.

Draft saved Draft deleted