1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Sweet Energy Source

Discussion in 'Food' started by gracer, Aug 14, 2016.

1. gracer

gracer Explorer

Hi guys! :)

When I know that we will go on a long hike before reaching our camping ground, I make sure that everyone in my family or in our group have some pieces of candies or chocolate bars in their pockets. These sweet treats are my tried and tested sources of instant energy during times when I feel exhausted or weak from a long hike. Candies and chocolates can be instant sources of sugar that our bodies need for energy when we get low on sugar so they are important for me.

What are your instant energy source when one among you would need some while hiking?

2. missyify

missyify Survivalist

They sell little honey sticks that are in a straw-like tube. My doula had them for me when I was having my youngest since eating is frowned upon while in labor at a normal hospital. Perhaps I could just use small reusable containers... It's the same concept anyway.

I find protein does better for me unless I'm crashing really badly in which case I'll take something to provide quick energy with the protein. Usually dried fruit and some jerky.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

gracer and campforums like this.
  3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

That's why I find protein bars are a good mix of sugar, protein and fats. If I eat pure sugar I will crash again quickly and be worse off than when I started lol

gracer likes this.
  4. missyify

missyify Survivalist

Exactly. There are only a few I can actually buy at the store (since I'm breastfeeding my son with the majority of the allergies). I used to like Macro Bars since they had some sesame butter options, but I realized they still make me crash later if I don't follow up with more protein.

gracer likes this.
  5. gracer

gracer Explorer

I see. In my case though, only me and my husband could eat energy bars because my son is a little bit picky when it comes to the taste of some food. The power bars that are usually available in grocery stores here have almost the same tastes that he doesn't like so I still have to bring some other sources of immediate energy for my little one. :)

6. missyify

missyify Survivalist

Ok lol. I try to hide mine just for my husband and myself because I have the opposite problem. My kids are like locusts... They will eat large quantities of anything. Plus kids don't really need energy bars. You could probably find a recipe for something a little more kid friendly to make at home. Heck I might even do that...

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
    gracer likes this.
  7. missyify

missyify Survivalist

If you can get a dehydrator, you can probably make your own jerky and dried fruit according to your son's tastes.

I hide jerky, too. I buy some for them and some for my husband and me. I can't even buy spicy to keep them away. My sons will dip their food in the sriracha on my plate. My daughter "thinks" she doesn't like spicy, but only if you tell her it's spicy will she complain about it. (Learned that from her half brother to start panting and beg for water.)

gracer likes this.
  8. ashley0323

ashley0323 Novice Camper

Granola bars or chocolate covered almonds are a option. Both of them contain protein, sugars, and carbs which is what your body fuels on. I would suggest bringing some along. Thats what I grab for us, then of course for the kids to snack on too.

gracer likes this.
  9. gracer

gracer Explorer

Thanks for those suggestions @missyify and @ashley0323. :)

My little one loves dried fruits and anything that has chocolate in it so your suggestions are definitely great for me. I also usually make some sandwiches for us to munch on especially when we're taking breaks along our trail. I guess moms are more conscious when it comes to bringing along enough food supply and energy sources on hiking and camping trips. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted