1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Sweethearts Rock, Lanai USA

Discussion in 'United States' started by JoshPosh, Nov 1, 2014.

1. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

This little cove area is known as Sweethearts rock. There is a old story (maybe ancient) of lovers that resided on the small rock. Tragedy struck as the female was killed during a surge of water that drowned her in the cave. Her husband returned home that night and was so distraught that leaped to his death from the top of the rock.

Anyways, I never camped out on the rock before, but my brother has. He use to carry his gear on his back and swim over the rock and sleep on the rocks. Til this day I don't know how the hell he could do that. I did it once, and I couldn't handle it.

He told me once that he was fishing one night and he could see small little line of torches walking on the far side of the cliff. Local superstition points to the "night marchers". They were ancient hawaiian spirits leading the dead to the other side. I know what you guys are thinking, but it is Hawaiian folk lore. It's part of the culture and it creates a mystique for visitors.

Lanai-Sweetheart-rock.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted